About Slants!

So... I've tried closed comb razors, and I know there's two other kinds out there. Slants and open combs.

Slants I think are next on my list!

My understanding is that the blade doesn't sit square inside, and because of that it cuts smoother? But is that right across the bar, or only at one side it cuts smoother?

Also, Merkur seem to be where to go for slants.. do all of their slants have the same head, and it's the handle that's different?

The blade in a slant cuts smoother all the way along, well I think it does anyway.

I have (I think) a Merkur 37C, which is the one with the shorter handle. It is currently my every day razor and has just pushed the Weber ARC into my travel bag.

As far as I know the heads on the Merkur razors are the same, it's just the handle length that is different.

The way I think it works is that when you shave with it rather than the blade cutting at a 90 degree angle to the blade of the razor, it is slightly off, so it slices slightly sideways. This makes sense as to why it is easier, think about when using a knife to cut something, you rarely just push straight down, you pull or push the knife as well so the blade runs along the surface of what it is cutting. This is the same principal as what makes the slant work so well.

A slant is certainly a fantastic razor, especially with a nice sharp blade.

Yeah the blade is twisted so it scythes, one part of the edge leads and the other follows... supposedly this means less cutting effort or at least that's what I find. They're a really "hungry" razor in that the blade gap is big allowing them to swallow up a lot of stubble in one pass, 3 or 4 days can dissappear almost completely in the first lather. I don't notice any difference between one edge and the other, they seem consistent across the bar.
I don't find a slant to be an especially great daily shaver for some reason, but some do... I think they're best clearing an overgrown face.

The 2 Merkur slants are the same head yes, the 37 is short handled and IMO well balanced, and the 39 is a fair bit heavier, better for massive hands.

If you want to borrow a 37 you're welcome to try mine.

I think I'd probably try to buy one from someone here rather than try yours. I'd have to send yours back if I liked it or not, and then find one to buy. If I buy one and don't like it then I can sell it on, and the postage cost will be the same I think - plus someone who doesn't want theirs gets rid of it, and someone else who wants one gets it.

Thanks for the offer though :) I'll mull on things and most likely put up a WTB thread later!

I shave with a 'normal' head but tend to use a slighty diagonal stroke, keeping the blade at the angle it should be but sliding sideways as I go down, just make sure there is more downwards movement than sideways!! I saw it on a youtube vid about shaving techniques. I guess thats a similar action to a slant.

I read someone saying that already... that's partly why I'm stepping back. I've been trying so much recently I should probably stick to what I have and get the best from it... and then see if I want to try something else.

I've noticed on slants that the asymmetry always appears to be the same, with a bigger "gap" to the right. This makes me wonder if they are designed to be used right-handed.

Back
Top Bottom