Advice on this slim

Hi,

I bought this birth year razor and noticed it doesn't shave the same as my 68 slim. On closer inspection I noticed the blade gap isn't equal along the blade. Big pictures of each side are here:

Image one

Image two

I guess the question is, is this a problem?

midlife_crisis said:
Hi,

I bought this birth year razor and noticed it doesn't shave the same as my 68 slim. On closer inspection I noticed the blade gap isn't equal along the blade. Big pictures of each side are here:

Image one

Image two

Hi there,

Eventually, antdad will probably be around for a chat about the issue. He da man when it comes to adjustable repairs. He may deny it, but only cause he's so modest.

Martin

Exapno said:
In a word, yes. It shouldn't look like that. If it shaves fine or better than your other slim I wouldn't worry about it though...

It's not as comfortable as my 68. I've dial'd the adjustment back to reduce irritation. My first thought was different razor, different shave.

dodgy said:
midlife_crisis said:
Hi,

Image one

Image two

Hi there,

Eventually, antdad will probably be around for a chat about the issue. He da man when it comes to adjustable repairs. He may deny it, but only cause he's so modest.

Martin

Cheers Martin,

Looking forward to antdad's advice.

midlife_crisis said:
Cheers Martin,

Looking forward to antdad's advice.

I can tell you it's not uncommon to see that situation in a Slim or other Gillette adjustable. While waiting for Tony or another member to help, maybe do a google search with some key words and you'll get lots of hits I'd bet. Take a look at what people do for a fix.

Martin

Ahh how sweet of Martin giving me props.

The Slim doesn't look good tbh, I'd stick a blade in it first and see how uneven the blade gap is with the safety bar (bar beneath the blade edge)

My suspicion is (without seeing it close up) the arms of the silo doors might be slightly bent, if you want to fix it I'd contact Dave Glynn send him some pics or "tweak" the arms with some toothless needle pliers.

http://www.restoredrazors.com/contact/

antdad said:
Ahh how sweet of Martin giving me props.

The Slim doesn't look good tbh, I'd stick a blade in it first and see how uneven the blade gap is with the safety bar (bar beneath the blade edge)

If you want to fix it I'd contact Dave Glynn send him some pics.

http://www.restoredrazors.com/contact/

Cheers, I'll get in touch with him.

I have had this on a slim and a super adjustable and it was an easy fix just using a flat surface preferably a sheet of inch thick mdf and a bit of gentle pressure its weird to explain but if i get chance tomorrow i'll show how i did it via pics..

Back
Top Bottom