After Shaves with GREAT Skin-Feeling Properties

Hi guys,

I shave for work everyday and always use a 'splash' after a shave - I like the stinging and numbing effect of them. I rotate between:

Aqua Velva Menthol (blue one) - lovely cold sensation, decent performance and scent last for a good few hours if not more. Incredibly good value at $5-$10 a bottle.
Chanel Allure AS Lotion (it's a 'splash') - Leaves skin feeling great and the very nice scent lasts all day.
Superdrug Sierran Breeze (thanks to member Dipesh) - feels watered down but for under £3 it is very good value for money and the scent, surprisingly, lingers for several hours.

The best performer from these is, hands down, the Chanel. It leaves the skin feeling very nice, especially after a rough shave, and there is no dryness. I had a look at the ingredients of all the above and they all start with Alcohol, Water, Propylene Glycol/Glycerin...

After which, the Chanel does have some major differences.
It contains Ascorbyl Palmitate - A fat-soluble, highly absorbable form of vitamin C; Free-radical fighting antioxidant in skin care products that promotes healthy skin.
Tocopheryl Acetate - Vitamin E (Acetate)
Allantoin - Moisturising and increases smootheness of the skin

The final few ingredients are very similar for all 4.

The Chanel costs a lot so you expect it to be better, but it's too expensive to use on a regular basis for work.

Which aftershaves do you guys rate as good performers in terms of how your skin feels afterwards?
In particular those which have a that scent lasts a good few hours, if not more.

Thanks

Sonny

It would be a tie for me between Prof. Blighty's Grapewood (still available to members as a special request) and Sunbury's Barbershop Bay Rum. I must say, though, I don't quite understand the requirement for an AS to linger, scent-wise, for many hours. Surely it must be difficult for a manufacturer to ensure longevity without upping the essential aromatic oil percentage so high that it would become irritating to just-shaven skin? My personal take on the subject is that, if I want a scent to linger for several hours, I'll use a cologne/EdT, which is intended for just that purpose. I view AS as a way to refresh my face and provide good post-shave care with a pleasant aroma which lasts for a short while before discreetly fading. For my money, people seem to merge the two very different types of product in terms of what they expect.

Best feel for my face is DR Harris, it feels superb, but the scent won't last, I think Chris has a point that the stronger the smell the less kind it may be on shaved skin. I also like L'Occitane Verdon, again the smell won't last though.
Ogalalla hangs around longer but it burns a wee bit, that's the trade off I suppose.

Davidoff Cool Water always used to make my skin feel pretty good after a shave but its a long time since I used it. A huge favourite is Paul Smith London but I can't afford it these days. My good lady came in with some Sierran Breeze and although I've only just tried it on my wrist, I find it way too earthy and cloying. She got some Forest Fresh too so I'll give that I bash tomorrow. Looking forward to the Prof's new range but Steve's Barbershop Bay Rum most of all.

I think that Speick feels great and has a positive effect on shaving rash, etc. It's worth trying (not that expensive) but the scent is hard to get enthusiastic about.

DR Harris Marlborough is my every day aftershave, which (to me) is streets ahead in terms of fragrance and pretty close in terms of performance.

I also have a TOBS aftershave and that also feels great, but again the scent doesn't altogether do it for me.

Eau de Givenchy aftershave smells nice and is expensive, but doesn't seem to have any soothing properties whatsoever so I wouldn't recommend that.

Aqua di Parma is wonderful - great smell and feels brilliant, but is very expensive and made me sneeze!

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try some Florsis and will also keep a look out at the other suggestions. The Prof's stuff sounds great but I do like the sting and tingle of the alcohol.

chrisbell said:
It would be a tie for me between Prof. Blighty's Grapewood (still available to members as a special request) and Sunbury's Barbershop Bay Rum.

Thanks for the tip. I guess we have to wait for Sunbury's Bay Rum as it is not available yet? Certainly it is the one after-shave I have always wanted to try :)

octopus said:
I guess we have to wait for Sunbury's Bay Rum as it is not available yet? Certainly it is the one after-shave I have always wanted to try :)

I've got a couple of little empty 5ml sample bottles, if you want to try a little bit of Steve's bay rum I can do you a small decant?

octopus said:
Thanks for the tip. I guess we have to wait for Sunbury's Bay Rum as it is not available yet? Certainly it is the one after-shave I have always wanted to try :)

it won't be long, i had a quick sniff last night, smelling really good now, and the colour is really dark now, almost black so it's doing it's magic.

it has to get a particular smell and it's just a tiny tiny bit short at the moment, but it really wont be long.

as it's a completely natural product that has to go through a process, there is no way to rush it, like modern aftershave where you just bung in the smell with cheap alcohol and it's ready instantly...........time is what makes this Bay Rum good.

THANKS TO ALL THAT ARE WAITING FOR BEING PATIENT :blush::blush: :icon_sad:

:icon_razz:

Received the sample of Sunbury's Bay Rum today from Canuck. The scent is very refreshing with top notes of clove. It gets absorbed very quickly and the skin feels well moisturised and not greasy at all unlike some other balms I have tried from high street shops. This is a wonderful after shave and can't wait when it is available from next week. Best of all my wife and kids liked the smell very much :)

Thanks Canuck and also for the blade samples you sent. This place is wonderful :)

Back
Top Bottom