Aftershave and EDT shelf life

Afternoon all. New bod here - found you by looking for info on the differences between A/S and EDT, but now I'm here, I thought it would be rude not to pose a question or two . . .

. . . in relation to the realistic shelf life and best storage of the two. From experience, what do you find to be the useful working life (scent lasts for more than the time it takes to come out of the bottle) of opened and unopened 'shaves and 'toilettes?

I'm asking 'cos I'm considering buying some stuff that was big in the '80's/'90's (I'd say 'vintage' but that makes me feel real old . . .). My intention is to buy NOS boxed stuff - so far as possible - because I'm hoping it'll still be relatively good sniff-wise, but even so I'm wondering what sort of risk I'm taking of paying over the odds for bottles of what turn out to be odourless liquid.

I've got a couple of near empty bottles in the bathroom of stuff I'm familiar with - the oldest has to be Monsieur De Givenchy, which I think has been knocking around since about '85. The box went long before I understood that it could extend the lifespan, although 25+ years is probably a bit too much of an ask. It still holds its scent, but only for about five minutes after application. Quite how/why it's survived this long is something of a mystery; it's not like it's a particularly impressive scent. But that's not the point - for me, it's one of those fragrances that has lodged in my brain and evokes a different time . . . something I quite like.

MdG is one of the easier ones to find and may still be in production in some form, although I guess it's probably been remixed or remodelled (or whatever the correct perfumery term is) since I last bought it. However, there are a couple of others - like Givenchy Xeryus - that are long gone.

So, what wisdom can y'all impart? How long should I expect boxed, relatively carefully stored stuff to last?

Thanks in advance.

Neil

I have a bottle of my dad's Old spice from early 1980s, it has been opened since then and still smells as new, works as new. It is a little stronger I think and less sting from alcohol evaporation. My point is if the container never opened it should be good.

I have a bottle of 40 year old malt and its so good! So I am thinking maybe same principle applies.

Back
Top Bottom