An American friend on vacation in England

I have a friend here on holiday from California, just a few days on his way to St Andrews via York.

Some observations, some obvious some not so much.

He has never had beans on toast before, never had brown sauce, which I can understand, never had Yorkshire pudding or a Sunday dinner.

He was surprised at the number of 18/19 year olds in pubs and the very relaxed approach to alcohol, having said that the pubs we have been to are more to do with food and a beer garden with children enjoying the space, this was new to him.

I am sending him off to Betty's in York to have afternoon tea.

How did he like Afternoon Tea?

Loved it, sandwiches with the crusts cut off, macarons, superb small cakes, scones with clotted cream.

He is in Jockland right now, no idea what the hell he is wearing for teeing off at St Andrews, all he had in terms of clothing was jeans and glow in the dark trainers.

After golf he is going to Killiecrankie in Perthshire which is where his ancestors came from in the 17th Century, I suspect that he is hoping to take over some inherited salmon fishing rights on the Tay. I thought it better not to point out that if someone left Scotland for America 300 years ago it was probably because they had nowt, or they were deported for stealing a sheep.

Back
Top Bottom