Anyone heard of Purple Dragon Emporium 'Skirrid' soaps?

You mean the few generic ingredients he/she mentions? :mrgreen:

I probably should have learned enough from you by now, but which are the bad ones.....? :oops:

neocaligatio said:
You mean the few generic ingredients he/she mentions? :mrgreen:

I probably should have learned enough from you by now, but which are the bad ones.....? :oops:

Well, the oil list plus clay reads suspiciously like the standard non-functional 'shaving soap' recipes you can find on the internet. Olive oil (and other high oleic acid oils) is not a good oil for making a lathering soap. And castor oil, while improving lather in a bath soap, does do little to improve a shaving lather too.

Clay is a good thing to have in a 'natural' shaving soap (i.e. one without synthetic lubricants), but will not make a normal soap into a shaving soap. The fact that the alkali isn't listed is most likely an indication that it is not a potassium soap. WIthout either potassium soaps or synthetic foam stabilizers, one cannot make a decent shaving lather.

Formulating a good shaving soap is not terribly difficult, but if a soap doesn't have potassium tallowate or potassium stearate as ingredients, chances are, it won't be a good soap. Of course there are exceptions -- you can find vegetable oils that contain enough stearic acid and/or palmitic acid so that you can make an excellent soap without tallow or pure stearic acid. But lack of potassium is a dead giveaway of a non-functional shaving soap.

Henk

neocaligatio said:
And wondered if anyone has tried the stuff? It would appear the seller is new to making shaving soaps....

Yes I bought some when I was on a Bay Rum quest and prior to Henks arrival ...smells very nice, but that's it.

Back
Top Bottom