Anyone use a scuttle?

The scuttle itself:

An EJ black badger brush in large fits into the spout quite well with just a little twist. A Merkur 34C HD is there for scale, plus the T+H luxury hard soap bowl:

And I popped the T+H soap out of the bowl and sat it in the scuttle just for scale. NB: I don't plan to use it like that. 99G of soap, or about 89G after some use. A 50G soap would sit far better in here!

That's the kind of thing I thought it was. It looks like it would provide all you need in the absence of hot running water. If you're ever planning an extended trip to somewhere without that luxury, you definitely need to pack it. :D

^^ Yeah, it was solidly made with the intention of shaving sans eau chaude, but other than that I suppose it has little merit.

It sort of looks okay though, in a modern bathroom.

soapalchemist said:
A whole bowl would have been wanton extravagence. :lol:
I could not agree more - some of these people just do not know when they are well off - roll on the first of October and the opening of the Peasant-shooting season.
Love the pic. by the way - I presume you are the taller of the two - I hope you brought the robe home, must make a great winter dressing-gown.

Used my Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle today. Boiled water, poured into scuttle soon afterwards. Had my shower then prepared for shave. Cream into the scuttle and lathered up. Oh dear! Scuttles retain heat well! Too well this morning. Lather just wasn't right and everying was far too hot.

So next time, I'll revert to using hot water from the tap. Nowhere near boiling, just quite warm, which is what delivers effective and comfortable results.

So beware using very hot water in your scuttle.

I think an extra advantage of this type of scuttle is that it holds the head of the brush down into the water while soaking. I find when I soak the brush in a bowl of water prior to a test lather, it tends to float with half the brush out of the water.

Sir Prize; I do indeed still have the robe, which was a gift to me by the girl on the left of the picture, with whom I am still in touch. It's pure wool, with beautiful brocade. On special occasions, the men wear one's with leopard and tiger skin borders. Not very PC, but I imagine many have been passed down for generations. Which is not to say that such skins were not to be found in the local market from time to time.

I'm with you Fido. What I do with my 1.5 DB is put it in the sink and fill it up with hot tap water. Then take a shower, dump out the hot water in the scuttle and then refill it with hot tap water. Keeps the lather nice and warm!

Many years ago, when scuttles like the one described were first introduced, shaving soap came in packets of flakes you poured out a few flakes into the top of the scuttle, then lathered the flakes with a brush, the holes in scuttle top then allowed the excess water and diluted froth to drain away.

Nowadays, when soaps come in solid pucks, the holes in the top don't really make sense any more, and most pucks are too large for the bowl anyway, where as a few flakes would have nestled in there nicely.

So, if you really want to get an idea of how it was originally meant to work, grate a soap into the top, and then use it that way.

Back
Top Bottom