Anyone use online banking phone apps?

I'm kinda old school and had been til I signed up for online banking a couple of years ago. Before I'd have to do transfers and set up payments in the branch, and interact with someone behind a counter. Now it makes life easier I can do everything in my own home.

But when I'm out and can't get to an ATM to check my balance, the convenient option is to have access to it on my phone, but I've always been worried about the security, if someone stole my phone or I lost it and the account is signed in, they can help themselves to my money. I bank with Santander who are bad enough in branch so what's the odds of it being even worse on a phone!

I use Bank of Ireland's mobi app, they are pretty secure in terms of login authentication and the login also times out pretty quickly after a period of inactivity.

Just give it a try at home. If you don't like it, un-install it before you go out.

I use them for all my accounts and find them essential for my business and personnel banking. Just come back from 10 days in Santiago and used them daily. Security is not a worry as they sign off when the screen changes/ set time of inactivity You have to have confidence that it's in the banks interest to get it right as they pick up the bill for fraud.
I also ensure my phone screen locks instantly so adding my own piece of mind

I use the Co-op's mobile app and it's actually better than the website experience. Security is unlikely to be any more or less of a problem than when using the full website - banks are pretty switched on and nothing get released without plenty of testing!

The nat west app is superb , the bank not so.
The First direct app and web site is atrocious but the bank is fine.
Nationwide app is very very good and the bank is also very good.

These are the one I use.

It's a tad bit away from you :) - but I use the mobile app for Chase Bank here in the US and my absolute favorite feature of it is that I just take a photo of any check I receive and it auto-deposits into my account. I honestly can't remember the last time to a bank.

Re: RE: Anyone use online banking phone apps?

Darkbulb said:
It's a tad bit away from you :) - but I use the mobile app for Chase Bank here in the US and my absolute favorite feature of it is that I just take a photo of any check I receive and it auto-deposits into my account. I honestly can't remember the last time to a bank.
I like the sound of this but I maybe see a cheque twice a year [emoji389]

The better feature of the Nat West app is the ability to draw cash from atm's without a card. Also I like the ability to see the balance without logging in.

I like the First Direct app, I mostly use it for checking my balance and transferring money between accounts and it's really easy to use.

My phone's password-protected and I have security software that lets me wipe it remotely if it goes missing, that and the built-in app security means I don't worry.

Thanks for the replies lads, I might give it a go then if the apps are secure as they say.

Its not just for balance checking solely sometimes I'll have to transfer money and stuff but am not in front of a computer.

I'm a born-again Luddite: no mobile phone, no on-line banking. I'll use an ATM for withdrawals and I use telephone banking to move money from England to Canada, but that's it. For bill payments, deposits, cheque cashing, etc. I visit the nearest branch of my bank...it keeps people employed among other things. Bank systems are continuously under attack by hackers and you'll never really know how secure their systems are...that keeps people employed too, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom