Argh too many choices

Just getting to the end of my large pack of 100 derby blades and the wife has suggested getting me some new blades to try on t'bay.

Any suggestions?

She has found some super max blades, 10 for bout a quid, there's tones on there that I've never used*, so it's a bit hard to really decide.

Any suggestions on what I can get her for Christmas would be greatly appreciated too... :)

* - have only used Derby, Wilkinson, 7 o'clock (yellow) and whatever it was that came with the Boots DE razor for a fiver.

Thanks in advance

Agree.
Get a sample pack, or look at the blade reviews on here to get an idea of whats generally considered good and bad, try a few of each (not just one blade) and go from there.

Its worth remembering that blades act differently in different razors, and indeed for different skin types and faces.

The ones with the boots razor are Personnas (available at all good, and a few lousy supermarkets).

I would try (in no particular order)

Gillette Bleue Extras
Gillette Super Thins (Thai/Vietnam)
Polsilver
Super iridium
Gillette Green Super Stainless
Feathers (warning can be a bit sharp)

If you are in the UK I dont mind PIF'ing you a few different ones to try out

Father Ted said:
Agree.
Get a sample pack, or look at the blade reviews on here to get an idea of whats generally considered good and bad, try a few of each (not just one blade) and go from there.

Its worth remembering that blades act differently in different razors, and indeed for different skin types and faces.

The ones with the boots razor are Personnas (available at all good, and a few lousy supermarkets).

Gillette Bleue Extras
Polsilver
Super iridium

An excellent selection, however the post 2000 Bleues are not as good. The Thins are excellent and readily available. I was PIF'd some Polsilvers and found them very good.

rangers62 said:
Father Ted said:
Agree.

Gillette Bleue Extras
Polsilver
Super iridium

An excellent selection, however the post 2000 Bleues are not as good. The Thins are excellent and readily available. I was PIF'd some Polsilvers and found them very good.

What happened to the post 2000 blades, why are they not as good?

eneville said:
rangers62 said:
Father Ted said:
Agree.

Gillette Bleue Extras
Polsilver
Super iridium

Changed production facilities I believe. I have tried both. The modern Bleues are good but the vintage ones are better. Sharper and smell strongly of mineral oil!
I'd go with a sample pack.
Supermax are a decent enough every day blade but you won't get a very close shave with them unless your beard is quite light.

Try the Polsilvers if you get the chance. Supremely smooth, sharp and last longer than average.

hunnymonster said:
eneville said:

Production moved from (probably) Berlin to Lodz in Poland and onwards to St. Petersburg in Russia in 2008/9 - whilst those made in Lodz were comparable (same tooling used) the newest ones from St. Petersburg are "meh"
Which is odd dont you think, as the Yellows and Greens that we all rave about are made there.
Just goes to show....

While I'd normally say "just stay with what you know-Derby's".
The group is right go with the Sample Pack.
You'll not only thane the experience of different blades, you'll know what the groups talking about when the Brand is discussed. Nice holiday present.

Tim B said:
Try a sample pack, and feathers. But use the Feathers last, or mix them with another brand.

I left the feathers til almost last because I wanted to make sure my technique was up to them, but presumably this is not a problem in this case? Why leave them until last?

For what it's worth, I tried an Astra Platinum for the first time yesterday evening, and found it a very easy, quick shave. Two passes with no buffing gave very good results. Maybe that's just me, though.

If you PM me...i'll drop some samples of what I have in the post for you to try....I have 5 packs of Derbys' you can have as well....I can't use 'em.....every time I buy something they will insist on sending me some free Derby blades....

Fido said:
Congratulations on getting through nearly 100 Derby blades. Don't often hear that here, presumably they served you well.Good luck with your further sampling. I settled on red personna long ago.
I think that I am also settling on red personnas, only problem is Iv'e got over 200 Derby's left.

Cary Grant said:
Fido said:
Congratulations on getting through nearly 100 Derby blades. Don't often hear that here, presumably they served you well.Good luck with your further sampling. I settled on red personna long ago.
I think that I am also settling on red personnas, only problem is Iv'e got over 200 Derby's left.

They'll come in handy when you have to paint the windows :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

/Max

Back
Top Bottom