At last

I've been trying to snap my daughter for some time, she's camera shy so I let her play with the camera, I think she understands that nothing bad will happen to her and now she's willing to pose......

image5jl.jpg

And no the cadillac's nothing to do with me :blush:

Both my daughters are the exact opposite, as soon as the camera comes out they start striking poses and push everyone else out of the way so they can hog the limelight!
Nice shot there, just wish I cold get mine to pose naturally instead of the usual silly faces they pull!

daz said:
Both my daughters are the exact opposite, as soon as the camera comes out they start striking poses and push everyone else out of the way so they can hog the limelight!
Nice shot there, just wish I cold get mine to pose naturally instead of the usual silly faces they pull!

LOL I should think it wont be long before abby starts doing that, if I can get just one close up of her face that is 90% perfect then I'll be happy,she's got a lovely face that photos well, but so elusive to get the shot.... the quest continues :s

Just a little tip John, try taking some shots as if your not actually using the camera.
Hold or steady the camera away from your eyes so it doesn't look as your framing the subject.
If you know your daughters playing in one spot set the camera up on a table or whatever's stable, and leave it so she feels comfortable in the knowledge your not going try and take a picture, every now and then walk past and press the shutter even if your backs turned she'll be non the wiser.
Another tip is keep the camera at waist level and rattle off a few frames as your standing there or walking past.

Also if your photographing her outside like you have done against the car, try using the flash as well, even in sunlight and you should get some nice results.

You could greatly improve the shot of your Daughter by recomposing the imagine by cropping out some of the parts such as the top of the car which I feel are a distraction, something like this.

Jamie.

This might seem a bit strange to some people but if you have a wide angle lens for your camera or your camera has a 35-70mm lens
set it to 35mm and get in as close as you want, so the subject remains in focus and shoot away.
As you say you want that close up of your daughter and sometimes getting them to pose and not getting the one you want can sometimes create that little bit of tension next time you try. With a bit of practise you can position your camera anywhere, Knee, hip, floor pointing upwards etc just so your daughter gets used to the camera making noises when she thinks you're not actually taking a photo.

I used to sometimes walk around with the camera lens sticking out the back of my armpit and shoot away.
It's a lot harder to try and explain this than it is to actually do it :) so if you understand what I'm saying let me know :)

pugh-the-special-one said:
You could greatly improve the shot of your Daughter by recomposing the imagine by cropping out some of the parts such as the top of the car which I feel are a distraction, something like this.

Jamie.

I could (and should have cropped it a little more:blush:) Jamie, there was also a few more pictures from a steam rally not of my daughter but of steam engine's all taken with out a tripod and a test of the camera's ability to take shots with moving parts (so the parts are clear and not blurred) I'll post them in a bit:)

Yesterday we went to the dartford steam rally ( to see the same engine's as all the years before) and it rained mostly :mad: but anyway the few pictures I did manage to take of went well just bare in mind it was just me and the camera and the rain
:mad:
imageeji.jpg

image1vno.jpg

image2vfb.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

image3njx.jpg

image4pb.jpg

image6ws.jpg

Dobbo25 said:
Just a little tip John, try taking some shots as if your not actually using the camera.
Hold or steady the camera away from your eyes so it doesn't look as your framing the subject.
If you know your daughters playing in one spot set the camera up on a table or whatever's stable, and leave it so she feels comfortable in the knowledge your not going try and take a picture, every now and then walk past and press the shutter even if your backs turned she'll be non the wiser.
Another tip is keep the camera at waist level and rattle off a few frames as your standing there or walking past.

Also if your photographing her outside like you have done against the car, try using the flash as well, even in sunlight and you should get some nice results.

Hi Petter I shall try some of your tips out over time (she's notices things like that and turns violent :s she's quiet devious like that) she has inherited her great grandmother's temper :s But I will try, but with a tin hat on first :icon_razz:

Hi Petter I shall try some of your tips out over time (she's notices things like that and turns violent :s she's quiet devious like that) she has inherited her great grandmother's temper :s But I will try, but with a tin hat on first :icon_razz:
[/quote]

Ha Ha I know what you mean, Ive been in a few situations where having a camera can cause serious harm to your health but there's nothing worse than an angry daughter in full strop :)

Dobbo25 said:

Ha Ha I know what you mean, Ive been in a few situations where having a camera can cause serious harm to your health but there's nothing worse than an angry daughter in full strop :)
[/quote]

I hear that:icon_razz:

John said:
I've been trying to snap my daughter for some time, she's camera shy so I let her play with the camera, I think she understands that nothing bad will happen to her and now she's willing to pose......

Hi John,

If you're after a portrait, setting the camera to ~50mm from about 2-4m away should get you a nice crop, at about f/2-3 the background will be nice and blurred but the facial features will be crisp, distracting clutter will smudge away giving a clear subject.

Here's a photo, at f/2.5, 50mm, see how quickly the background goes into blur:

One advantage of a lower f number will give you a shorter exposure, meaning you don't need your subject to stay still for so long.

eneville said:
John said:

Hi John,

If you're after a portrait, setting the camera to ~50mm from about 2-4m away should get you a nice crop, at about f/2-3 the background will be nice and blurred but the facial features will be crisp, distracting clutter will smudge away giving a clear subject.

Here's a photo, at f/2.5, 50mm, see how quickly the background goes into blur:

One advantage of a lower f number will give you a shorter exposure, meaning you don't need your subject to stay still for so long.

Hi thanks for the tips, looks like I'll have to drag the manual out and have another look at it :blush:

Back
Top Bottom