Beginner strop in the uk?

Hi, I'm trying to find somewhere in the uk that does a cheap first strop, I know I can grab some from the US guys but trying to find somewhere closer to home as I'd like one delivered pretty quick. Does anybody know anywhere that stocks them? any ebay vendors? I have no idea what I should be looking for so could do with some helpful advise please.

You should contact Neil Miller, he is a member here; you can also visit his website (strop-shop.co.uk) to see what's more or less available. Neil makes fantastic strops, from the very basic Latigo to magnetic paddle ones.

As N_Architect says contact Neil Miller he may have some bit n bobs around and he could maybe make you a cheap first strop.

always worth droping him a line to see if he can help.
a very helpful member of the board IME

+1 for Neil. I have one of his and I'm a beginner at stropping. Its a very nice piece and gets a good edge. It now has a couple of nicks where I have got cocky!

For the record I used to have another cheapo hanging strop from Ebay which was useless.

I have one of these canvas and premium cowhide 1.75" Dovo ones, they're ok, just a bit narrow in general. But if you get used to doing the x-pattern then it's fine.

Hi Neil - well dovo don't make their strops and I doubt Jemico do either (I may be wrong of course) as the lettering especially looks to come from the same place, so they can't be 're-branded' as they don't make them! I do know Dovo strops are made by a third party who at the moment is struggling to get the leather - it's run out at several suppliers and therefore prices will probably go up AGAIN soon!

Anyway our intro-level strops are not made by these people and have been chosen from a supplier who demonstrated very good levels of quality and consistency. More are on the way including 3" Russian leather types and paddle strops. Needless to say the new strops have been on trial with us for some time before being added to the line-up. They are a bit wider than the dovo-badged ones at 2" and do indeed look like them as we have been selling the 15240001 dovo strop for years and, as is said, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! It also made sense to follow a tested strop design. The whole aim was to give the beginner a decent quality strop at a reasonable price.

Our custom strops are of course a different matter, being made up to a quality (from the very best materials naturally) that will not be lowered regardless of price. We therefore think they are the best available!

Spartacus said:
Our custom strops are of course a different matter, being made up to a quality (from the very best materials naturally) that will not be lowered regardless of price. We therefore think they are the best available!

No harm in thinking.... :)

Back
Top Bottom