Best Adjustable Razor

So what is the forums' opinion on the best adjustable razor, vintage or current, custom or standard ?

Is a Mergress the ultimate DE adjustable razor ? or is there something vintage out there that is better ?

Looking forward to seeing what is suggested ..

Lose the beard said:
For me the best new one is the Merkur Futur, best old one Slim Adjustable. If I could only have one it would be the Merkur.

Tend to agree. I have the 3 Merkurs and like the Futur the best.

Futur was too aggressive for me for everyday use. 3 days growth and it was fantastic. The FB looks the bizzo but was a major disappointment The slim for me then a Super Adjustable. Not much between them, Slim just shades it. Never tried the Merkur adjustables. Hear good things about them.

Lose the beard said:
rangers62 said:
Futur was too aggressive for me for everyday use....................

Never tried the Merkur adjustables. Hear good things about them.

I would have classed the Futur as a Merkur adjustable.

I beg your pardon, you are correct, I meant to say the Merkur Progress, a more traditional looking razor IMHO. Long day!

No worries, I kind of guessed what you meant, just being pedantic tonight, sorry.

I'm not a great fan of the progress although many people are, I much prefer the Futur, yes it can be aggressive, but set between 1 and 2 its quite normal, crank it up to 5 and be prepared to lose the odd ear or two. :D

Being cynical the Progress and Vision seem to be Merkur realising there's a lot of thick wallets around DE shaving and wondering what they can make that'll have people parting with their cash... I could of course be wrong but few people seem to rate them and most people seem to say they're bulky.

I'll just be pedantic again Halk

I think you meant the Futur and Vision are the bulky ones, although I really like the Futur, never tried the Vision.

The Progress has a fairly normal head on it.

I've got both the Progress XL and a Futur. I much prefer the Progress as it's better for the hard to reach areas than the Futur due to its bulky head.

The Futur is much better looking IMO but, in reality, isn't as good at its original purpose as it's more traditional looking brother and given the fact that it doesn't have a weird yellow plastic dial at the bottom, which does it no favours at all aesthetically.

I like my Futur.It feels like a solid quality piece of gear, and the wide variation between the settings goes from mildly aggressive to kamikaze. The Fatboy is a nice little diddy razor, a tad on the mild side.

Back
Top Bottom