Best ever shave

Do you have a best ever shave, what made it memorable? Quality, where it occurred, special occasion, or just that shave where all the planets were in alignment and it was.....just right.

Mine's was in Florida and was the day I bought mu first DE razor (Futur, show's how little I knew!). I can't remember the blade but the prep was lying sweating in the hot sun applying liberal amounts of sun tan lotion, then in the shower in the hotel which had one of those steam room thingy's and a non fog mirror. Noxema coconut shave foam (very good actually). 3 days growth gone. Smooth as a badgers bahookie, wee bit sore, and......totally hooked.

PS
Wish I could have that prep every day ;)

Wow...nice story..I can also "recall" only once..loading a Feather in my Gillette Tech handle and having such a clean shave...NOTHING on my face had a single hair!...NEVER happened again..musta been one of those one in 70yrs experiences!... :D

Blades

I am still waiting for mine with a DE to be honest. Although, I do think I am getting there. Yesterday was a learning point though - even if you still have lather left in your bowl do not try to be cocky and go for an ATG pass on your neck and jawline :eek:

The best DE shaves that I have had, have always involved removing more than 1 days worth of beard. I suspect that the longer hairs may soak up more water and get softer, quicker. It then feels like you're just wiping the whiskers off with a squeegee!

Ian

I had one of these yesterday. In a super lather style, with boots cream and stick and a fresh feather blade. It was amazing compared to the Derby's I was previously using.

My best shave ever harks back to 2003. Pre DE days.

All I remember about the shave was that I used a mach 3 and probably finished with some nivea balm.

I'd been at Roskilde music festival in Copenhagen and I didn't bother shaving the whole time we were there. Hot showers every day, but no shaving. The weather had been excellent until the last day of the festival where it started to pour with rain so we made the decision to go and kip in the airport for the night. I literally spent a full 24 hours stewing in the airport and then had a flight to London. When we got there, there had been a fire alarm so we had to run like mad to a connecting flight to Aberdeen. I felt rotten. Needed a wash and my face was itchy as hell.

I got back to my parents house, had a cup of tea then went for a shower.

The simple 2 pass Mach 3 shave I had was the best shave I remember having in my adult life. I then went to bed and slept like a baby.

I'd been treking in Eastern Turkey and ended up in a rather beautiful large town called Van, famous for carpets and swimming cats. Exhausted and looking for a bath house I asked directions from some local urchins and they promptly led me to one. It was a staggeringly beautiful building, all marble, granite and mosaic so after the warm and hot rooms I was scrubbed, stretched, pummelled and wrapped up by the masseurs and ready for a shave. The barber didn't use anything special of note, Arko in a mug, a shavette (I think), alum and boar. I was in a relaxing half trance during most of the shave but was awoken by the pungent smell of lemon EDT being splashed on my chops, no stinging just lemon acidity evaporating up my nostrils. Arko really makes sense in a bath house. After a few rubs of alum here and there I touched my face, from a week's worth of growth I was now buttery smooth. It was a great shave, I knew it because I couldn't help smiling while faceturbating.

The urchin's were waiting for me outside all this time, what did they want I'd already given them a tip? They asked if I would care to visit their English class but could it be a scam? Nah, these kids spoke some English where it wasn't even the second language. I went with the flow and so ended up spending a very pleasant hour or so answering questions from their English class only to be later invited to have dinner with the teacher. Great I thought she was a Turkish honey, unfortunately her father was not, lovely meal though.

Great story Antdad,

I had a similar experience in Istambul a few years ago, came out feeling like a five year old on Christmas morning. Moslems have to go to Mecca once in their lives, all TSR members should have to go to a Turkish bath house at least once.

AD's story is brill. Think if I lived in Turkey I'd be visiting the baths at least a couple of times a week. Sounds good for the soul. In this country it's the pub where men meet each other. That in itself is fine, but it seems that's all we have.

My best one was when I first started DE shaving and bought a 39c slant as my first razor(shows how much I knew!lol),slant and a feather blade VS a beginner with a couple days experience,ha
I always remember that shave because I didn't get a single nick and learned what they mean by a smooth close shave :cool:

After many music festivals I had my first hot shower, courtesy of greenpeace, at a festival and then boiled up the kettle for a decent wet shave with soap and a brush in the sunshine. That was a good shave. I used a mach3. Then reached for some C&S 88.

The other good thing is that I have possible 'best ever shave' moments rather frequently since I started spending more time thinking about shave than I do shaving.

At the moment it's 2 passes with my shavette north south then south north and then touch up with the Futur. I can get great shaves with the rocket but have yet managed one with my shavette on its own but this just requires more work and the confidence is growwing every day.

Back
Top Bottom