Blade Sharpeners and then some...

Based on the engineering advancements in blade sharpeners from the past, it is likely that the top-quality DE (Double Edge) and SE (Single Edge) razor blades were potentially more expensive at their peak than modern razor cartridges are today when adjusting for inflation.

When I started shaving more than half a century ago, British-made razor blades were mostly better quality and more durable than many of today's. Pro-rata to my pay then, the cost of purchasing a pack of Wilkinson Sword blades was a bigger expense than now, but at least I could shave daily for at least seven days with one blade.

From limited experience, prewar blades were equally good and expensive, which is probably why so many inventive sharpeners were on offer. Things were also expected to be durable and capable of repair, resharpening etc. I used to have shoes repaired, suits likewise, shirt collars and cuffs turned, but it's almost impossible to find anyone providing such services today, in the UK.

When I started shaving more than half a century ago, British-made razor blades were mostly better quality and more durable than many of today's. Pro-rata to my pay then, the cost of purchasing a pack of Wilkinson Sword blades was a bigger expense than now, but at least I could shave daily for at least seven days with one blade.

From limited experience, prewar blades were equally good and expensive, which is probably why so many inventive sharpeners were on offer. Things were also expected to be durable and capable of repair, resharpening etc. I used to have shoes repaired, suits likewise, shirt collars and cuffs turned, but it's almost impossible to find anyone providing such services today, in the UK.

Most of my shoes are Loakes which go back to the factory when they need to be resoled.

Most of my shoes are Loakes which go back to the factory when they need to be resoled.
Good shoes. I used to buy shoes and boots from Bowhill and Elliott, who would repair them, and Red Wings and DMs can also be attended to, at some expense and trouble. It's a pity that the days when most towns had a cobbler, who would be able to repair any sort of footwear are gone . My own small town had three such craftsmen, but none today.
It's an oddity that nowadays people hammer on about "sustainability" whilst indulging in a throwaway manner of living. Old native Suffolk fogeys like me were brought up in the "make do and mend" tradition, and it irks me to see how things are now.

Back
Top Bottom