Blade Size

Reading google today and came up with this info from 'Blade and Brush'. Never thought that there was a difference in Blade Measurements. I thought that they were all standardized!
'The first three blades in our list are the vintage Gillettes.
Blade Edge-to-edge width Rank Country of Origin
Gillette Blue 1930s 21.95 0 USA
Gillette Super Blue 1950s 21.96 0 USA
Gillette Super Stainless 1960s 21.96 0 USA
American Personna 21.71 2 USA
Astra Superior 22.04 16 Russia
Derby Extra 22.1 19 Turkey
Dinosaur Stainless (yellow wrapper) 22.06 17 China
Dorco Stainless Platinum 21.85 5 Korea
Dura Sharp Carbon 21.64 1 Pakistan
Feather Blue Carbon (Thick) 22 13 Japan
Feather Platinum SS 21.93 9 Japan
Flying Dove Carbon Steel Blue Blade 22.1 20 China
GEM Stainless (by Personna) 22.08 18 China
Israeli Super + Platinum 21.97 11 Israel
MEM Super Silver Platinum 21.92 7 China
Merkur 21.96 10 Germany
Nelson Carbon Steel 21.99 12 China
Sputnik Platinum SS 22.2 21 Russia
Super Dinosaur (blue wrapper) Carbon 22.01 14 China
SuperMax Stainless 21.87 6 India
SuperMax Super Platinum 21.92 8 India
Treet Platinum SS 21.83 4 Pakistan
Treet Silver Edge SS 21.8 3 Pakistan
Wilkinson 22.01 15 Germany

There are a few surprises: the blade with the smallest edge exposure is the Dura Sharp carbon steel blade, a good performer from the Treet Corporation of Pakistan. The other two blades from the same factory, the Treet Silver Edge stainless steel blade and the top of the line Treet Platinum are also at the top of the ranking, respectively positioned at the third and fourth place. The number two place goes to the American Personna, a blade that is widely sold as the store-brand of many American Supermarkets and Drugstore chains.

The DORCO comes in fifth position. At 21.85mm it is slightly narrower than the vintage Gillettes.
The blade that matches the vintage Gillettes perfectly (at least dimensionally) is the German Merkur stainless steel blade.
The Russian Sputnik has the most exposed edge, a fact that may explain its great ability to cut through the toughest beard; interestingly, this blade still retains a smooth character, probably thanks to its advanced Dupont Teflon coating.

A lot of the low cost Chinese blades can be found towards the bottom of our ranking, as can the popular Turkish Derby blade. In the case of the Chinese blades, the edge is often not as sharp as is the case with the other blades in our list. Some of the cheaper Chinese blades are also uncoated or coated with inferior substances and the resulting shaving experience is sub-par.

The famous Feather blade is in 9th place, with a width of 21.93mm, very close to the width of the vintage Gillettes. These blades are considered somewhat aggressive, although, for me at least, they seem to be extra sharp, but also very smooth. Perhaps the exposure of the edge contributes to the feel of extreme sharpness of the Feather blade.
The Astra Superior is also close to the bottom: another very sharp and extremely smooth blade, with advanced PTFE coating and a ceramic coated edge.'
http://www.razorandbrush.com/bladwidth.html

Good post Johnus...Like you I'd never really considered the width of the blades...very interesting information...Thats one of the things I love about this Forum...the willingness to share....

Not sure what I can use it for ,but then my Head's a vast store of "irrelevant" information anyway..............or so I'm told by HWMBO.......so a bit more data is very welcome.

Back
Top Bottom