Blightys Soap

So in the post yesterday along with the rest of my bits was a surprise gift from Professor Blighty of some soap called Barbarian Blade shaving shield (I think the name is to long)

Now after the postman had his way the packaging was a little bashed (plastic tub in a thin cardboard box placed in plastic bag) but that easy to rectify with better packing.

So when you first get it the label on box is like something you would see on heavy metal album cover or in a roll play game which if I went out to buy shaving soap probably would not be something I would pick up (but thats just me)

Box aside the Tub has a round Sticker on the top say Barbarian Blade shaving shield in circle which is approx 6cm across (which I found out is not waterproof) and is a clip lid not a screw top (personal choice of which you like best) I think a screw top looks more like a shop purchases and less cottage industry.

The soap when you first snap back the lugs and open the lid you get this massive hit of a strong scent which is hard to place as there are not any clues as to what is in there?

I will try my best to tell you what the scent reminds me of (but everyone is different) its sort of a cross between menthol toothpaste and Christmas & herbal tea

The soap its self is difficult to know if its a hard cream or a soft hard soap?

The lather: I alway fill my shaving mug with very hot water from the kettle when I make my morning coffee so that my brush can soak while I shower

Sorry back to the lather: After my brush has soaked for about 5 mins and I have shaken the excess off I started a small circular motion to get some soap on my brush which quickly became apparent that I did not need to do this for to long as the brush was brimming with lather.

Once I had started to knock up a lather in my mug I was impressed how much lather I had got from such little effort.

The shave : As I had a DE shave yesterday I need a touch up today so I loaded weapon of choice today which happened to be my Uncles SS with a Gillette Bleue (thanks frenchblade) and started to apply the rich lather to my neck and face in my normal painting motion (side to side strokes) coverage was very good-nice and thick with little effort.

The first pass felt clean and skin felt moisturized, Reapplied a second coat and just had a quick touch up then rinsed my face in cold water-usually once I have patted my face dry I will apply Coral skin food but today I have not- As the scent from the soap is quite strong and I'm not sure by applying the skin food which is also heavily scented which scent will win the battle....

So overall:
From point of packing- room for improvement

Packaging this is personal choice but I think could be better
Nicer logo (waterproof as well)

Shorter product name

A hint to what the scent should be?

Screw top as with packaging (personal) as it is there are lots of areas for old soap to collect (a little unhygienic for my liking)

Also is this a Cream or a soap (again no clue on packaging or tub)

Lather is great nice and rich just as you would get from any great soap and maybe a little better

Scent again a personal thing but it is very strong and nearly 5 hours (its just gone 10am now) after my shave its still as strong as it was when it came out of the tub

To sum it up:
The professor is a talented man with a unique gift and very generous and his soap/cream works very well the tub is of a good size at guess (as not written anywhere) I would say maybe a 100g + and not Knowing the price I can't comment on value for money.

Would I buy it again Yes probably- but not this one as the scent is a little over powering for me, But it works well, Gives great coverage and moisturizers' well.

I would just like to see better packaging and labels

Out of 10 I would give it 8.5

Disclaimer: I have not been asked to give this review and is my own opinion and can be taken as guide or just dismissed it's up to you :D

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 234
Good review.

I'm keen to try the Prof's soap as I think Sharon has really cracked it now with a great all-rounder and Henk's soft soap might be my favourite ever.

I used Sharon's lavender cream this morning and had a lot of lovely lather - compared with her first effort (a hard soap, also lavender) it was a massive improvement and as good as any of the big names with their top dollar prices.

So Blighty's soaps intrigue me . . . .

Rev-O said:
Good review.

I'm keen to try the Prof's soap as I think Sharon has really cracked it now with a great all-rounder and Henk's soft soap might be my favourite ever.

I used Sharon's lavender cream this morning and had a lot of lovely lather - compared with her first effort (a hard soap, also lavender) it was a massive improvement and as good as any of the big names with their top dollar prices.

So Blighty's soaps intrigue me . . . .

I trade you for one of Henks/Sharon's I am sure the Prof won't mind and you have your own view? Pm me if interested

Michael

So, you trade the Rev with something you got for free and he sends you something he knows he likes and has payed for in return for something you don´t care for!? :eek: :lol:

Why would he mind? You gave it a very positive review even though you didn't like the scent and you didn't pay for it. I'm sure the Prof would appreciate all the feedback he can get so why don't you be a good lad and forward it to the Rev without trying to get something in return?

over5feet said:
So in the post yesterday along with the rest of my bits was a surprise gift from Professor Blighty of some soap called Barbarian Blade shaving shield (I think the name is to long)

To sum it up:
The professor is a talented man with a unique gift and very generous and his soap/cream works very well the tub is of a good size at guess (as not written anywhere) I would say maybe a 100g + and not Knowing the price I can't comment on value for money.

Would I buy it again Yes probably- but not this one as the scent is a little over powering for me, But it works well, Gives great coverage and moisturizers' well.

I can't see a problem with trading for a sample of a soap its not like I'm selling it? After all I gave Prof a sample he sent it me as a trade for sending sample's and if Rev wanted to try it and he had a sample that I could try I would trade it with him if he does not and just wants it then he only has to ask its not like I trying to profit just be nice to try something else and maybe I when I need to restock I will look at other vendors and not just the high street

This tub looks bigger than a 100g but if its only £4.99 I would say its a lot of work for not much return and not very viable long term

Hi, the tub is 240g if filled to the top.

I sell it for £5 to cover my own expenses, I'm retired now and not trying to make a profit. Soap and cologne making is just a fun hobby for me, I make what I like, and because I make more than I can ever use, get rid of the excess on ebay, or just sell it more or less at cost. The packaging is cheap because it's never going to go into shops, and it's basically what ever I can get at the lowest price to ship the stuff out in.

The soap Michael got is made from cocoa and mango butters with essential oils thrown in for scent, (too much obviously) :roll:

I like to experiment with scents, hence the strawberry soap and so on, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. But I will always be trying new things and if anyone wants to try them, I'll just send them out.

Nice review, thank you Michael, though I take your point, I must stop smoking that stuff before I design my labels! :lol:

I love the name of it,kind of has a Bluebeards Revenge vibe to it,i have had the good fortune to try some of the Professors soap and found that it was really good

The Barbarian Blade thing was an idea of mine to sell a Dungerons & Dragons type range of products just for fun. So I made a shave oil, soap, balm and aftershave all to match. I made about 50 sets, but they're nearly all gone now, and when they are I won't make any more, unless someone specifically asks for them. It's on to the next idea now for me, which is Grapewood.

Attachments

• Barbarian Blade Range.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom