Bowl lathering with soaps

Dr Rick said:
Do you move to the bowl mostly for warm lather purposes? I've found that once I've built the first lot on my face subsequent passes pretty much just paint on.

Yes, that and getting the consistency right I suppose. I still face lather Wool Fat exclusively, and as you say, it just keeps on coming ...

Ive always preferred bowl lather to any other method simply because I prefer a warm lather with each pass and I quite enjoy the process.
You've got to use a pretty large bowl though to get the best lather this way as a small 3" bowl won't allow enough room for the brush to build up a decent supply of lather.
regareds, beejay

Just picking up a few points here. Particularly when using soaps I tend to leave more water in the brush these days. Just let excess drip out with only a minimal flick before swirling on the soap. No idea how long it takes to load - tends to vary with the soap. Then after initial swirling in the bowl, I dip the tips into the water to add a little as I go along. I spend most time now just gently painting on the lather with just an occasional bit of circular massaging. In times past, I used to use the brush as a scrubbing brush to face lather - great fun, a bit hit and miss and not sure it did my poor old face much good - or the brush.

The point is, there are no rules here. We all find what suits us in the end. Enjoying the ritual is what it should be all about.

How many turns do people use to load the brush???

Most people will say at least a minute... I swirl until it looks good and coated and won't take any more raw soap, anywhere between 30 and 90 seconds depending on the soap.

Canuck said:
How many turns do people use to load the brush???

Most people will say at least a minute... I swirl until it looks good and coated and won't take any more raw soap, anywhere between 30 and 90 seconds depending on the soap.

For most of the soaps that I use day in day out (mainly MdC, Provence Sante, La Toja and Tabac), 30 seconds maximum I'd say. I find this gives me plenty of lather for a couple of passes and touch up. I've found the hard triple milled English soaps take much more loading and certainly aren't worth the extra effort.

I like the "combi" method because you get all the initial advantages of face lathering and then by working any excess back into a bowl you can also keep the brush and lather warm.

This suits me fine because I prefer painting lather on for subsequent passes and it's very easy to release and therefore hydrate the latent soap/pre lather that's still in the brush.

antdad said:
I like the "combi" method because you get all the initial advantages of face lathering and then by working any excess back into a bowl you can also keeping the brush and lather warm.

This suits me fine because I prefer painting lather on for subsequent passes and it's very easy to release and therefore hydrate the latent soap/pre lather that's still in the brush.

This is something I need to try. :cool:

With the bowl and brush submerged in hottish water during a shower, keep the bowl submerged until you've finished with face lathering but be sure to remove excess water from the bowl. It should then be possible to generate a load more lather from the excess and what's being held in the brush without that much tweaking in fairly rapid time. Never tried it with boar.

The best lathering I had was last year, using a small ramekin pot in the top of a mug of hot water. The pot kept getting stuck in the mug. So I now use a small ramekin inside a larger one filled with hot water. The larger ramekin also has a lid, and that can be placed upside down over the larger pot and used as a shaving bowl. The only problem there though is that the lather goes over the edges and does not stay warm. The pot is big enough to hold a good sized soap though.

Back
Top Bottom