Briefcase help

Morning Chaps,

It is time for new briefcase. I want buy one good one to take with me to grave.

-Good Leather
-Handmade preferably
-Space wise? Need to fit my EDC as I don't like nothing in my pockets plus notebook 15 inch.
-English made would made me happy (thou my first choice was US made one)
- Can be on 2 locks or one no difference

I was preparing to buy Lotuff English Briefcase but since Brexit pound drop is now extra £120...........

Saw great one in London Piccadilly arcade and went in to see it. Only £1700........ouch That is a beauty

Cant Afford more than £750 and that is really stretching to be honest. (Saved long time, while feeding whole family)

In view of the amount of investment you'll be making maybe worth attempting to source one with RFID screening. The way things are progressing and with increasing wi fi and contactless capabilities who knows what edc items will be chipped in the not so distant future.

JohnnyO. o/

The company I had something similar from years ago is Tanner Krolle. Not sure what's happening with them, as their Mayfair shop seems to be closed, but the website is still going at http://www.tannerkrolle.com/. Might be worthwhile emailing them, but they're pretty expensive.

The Swaine Adeney cases are very good. If you want something that'll last forever, they're it. I have an early version of one of their cases, which I got in the early 1970's, and has been everywhere. I think it cost me about £50, which was a lot of money for me then, but, as you've established, they seem to have rocketed in cost since.

Attachments

• IMG_20161102_144951.jpg
    IMG_20161102_144951.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 12
The Swaine Adeney cases are very good. If you want something that'll last forever, they're it. I have an early version of one of their cases, which I got in the early 1970's, and has been everywhere. I think it cost me about £50, which was a lot of money for me then, but, as you've established, they seem to have rocketed in cost since.

Out of curiosity what model you own?

Cheers I will email them

It's the one in the rather poor photo I posted. I think it's now called a Westminster, but the design is now slightly changed.

I also bought one from a long-gone maker, Reids of Fleet Street, which was a similar design, and which I still have. The selling point of that case was that it was guaranteed to hold all the volumes (4?) of the London phone book, each of which was about 2 inches thick.

I bought a Mulberry briefcase for around £250 from a shop in the Königsallee in Düsseldorf when I lived there in 1998, and was able to get it VAT-free. It was stolen, along with my car, in UK in 2001. My insurers replaced it with the nearest new model, which was considerably more expensive. However, car and briefcase were recovered (a particularly stupid thief, who took a LHD car, left my Mulberry bag but stole my military boots!) and the briefcase is still with me (I told the insurers, who allowed me to keep both). It has now developed a nice patina, but there is no discernible wear.

A new Mulberry bag is probably over-budget in this case, but a used one would still be a good buy.

I bought a Mulberry briefcase for around £250 from a shop in the Königsallee in Düsseldorf when I lived there in 1998, and was able to get it VAT-free. It was stolen, along with my car, in UK in 2001. My insurers replaced it with the nearest new model, which was considerably more expensive. However, car and briefcase were recovered (a particularly stupid thief, who took a LHD car, left my Mulberry bag but stole my military boots!) and the briefcase is still with me (I told the insurers, who allowed me to keep both). It has now developed a nice patina, but there is no discernible wear.

A new Mulberry bag is probably over-budget in this case, but a used one would still be a good buy.
795 for Mulberry. Tempting. I will pop in to store and check it out

Saw Mulberry, while it was nice looking but leather is too soft and bag didnt have enough compartments

Thinking about:

https://www.sagebrown.co.uk/london-tan-bridle-eton-with-solid-brass-lock?p=1

or
http://www.tedbaker.com/uk/Mens/Accessories/Bags/JAGALA-Leather-satchel-Tan/p/124679-27-TAN

I see that all Mulberry's bags are now soft leather - mine is old-school congo and very robust.

Sage Brown is nice - I have one of their farmer's wallets, and the quality is excellent.

I see that all Mulberry's bags are now soft leather - mine is old-school congo and very robust.

Sage Brown is nice - I have one of their farmer's wallets, and the quality is excellent.

Mulberry are also very highly priced nowadays, because of being a cult "must have" brand. When they started out, they had a shop in, as I recall, Christopher Place, behind Oxford Street.

Their products were then ( 1970s/80s) better quality and innovative, compared to most of what else was on offer, and although not cheap, they were good value for money. I bought my wife several bags from them, which she still has, and none cost more than about £75. I also have a couple of nice belts, but these now serve only as memorials to the days when, in my thirties and before I gave up smoking, I had a 28 inch waist. If only......!

With that level of budget I would go and check out what's available in one of the outlet centres such as Bicester Village which has Mulberry plus a bucket load of other top brands.

Back
Top Bottom