Can you become allergic to glycerin soaps?

So I've been DE shaving for about 15 years and started with arko and palmolive. I've tried other soaps over the years and been fine. But the last 3 or 4 years I've tried some glycerin soaps, Catie's Bubbles and something others I can't remember the name of. They have all cased my skin to feel hot and uncomfortable. I remember using a glycerin soap for a short time a few years after I first started DE shaving but now I can't. I have also become allergic to some fruit that I enjoy.

So I've been DE shaving for about 15 years and started with arko and palmolive. I've tried other soaps over the years and been fine. But the last 3 or 4 years I've tried some glycerin soaps, Catie's Bubbles and something others I can't remember the name of. They have all cased my skin to feel hot and uncomfortable. I remember using a glycerin soap for a short time a few years after I first started DE shaving but now I can't. I have also become allergic to some fruit that I enjoy.
I doubt it would be the glycerin, so there may be another common ingredient in the soaps that you’ve developed a sensitivity to? You mention also developing allergies to particular foods too, and that the issues have started in the last 3-4 years. It is possible, especially if you caught Covid not long before this started, that all this may be connected with the long term effects of Covid, which is connected with people developing both sensitivities to food and to other substances.

The fruit allergy was diagnosed about 6 months before Covid and as far as I know I’ve never had Covid. My favourite aftershave is Floid witch is alcohol based I think.

"Hot and uncomfortable" ... not especially itchy, just irritable? I get this sensation from soaps that contain shea butter. I see it listed in the ingredients for Catie's Bubbles.

Because of this, I just keep away from soaps with this adjunct but every now and again a soap comes along that really peaks my interest and despite it containing shea butter, I might have a go ... first go will almost always be fine, second one, too ... but any continued use will bring this discomfort back into place and I'll have to consign that soap to the PIF pile.

Back
Top Bottom