Can you help me pick a brush?

Hi Guys,

So I have a 1305 that is nicely broken in that I have been using with a mixture of creams and soaps face lathering with great success.

I'm after a badger brush to get into rotation, I don't want to spend much more than £50.

I am quite taken with the Semogue owners club 2 band or the 2015HD can any users give me info on the difference?

I like to look of the NF tubby 2 but I think they are out of production, and chances are that by the time there are some available I could be in the market for another brush!

I'm sure you lot will have other suggestions, I have looked through the threads on here but still struggle with predicting how a brush with x loft, y height and finest hand fettled tips will perform.

Also, if any of you have an SOC or NF tubby 2 to flog then let me know.

RB73 said:

Duke 3 in Best...........coz your worth it.

Use the discount from diamond edge and you wont be far off.

Good shout, although I will say visit Vintage Scent, they sell Semogue badger an boar brushes. 20% off at the moment, some great brushes on there... But yea, Diamond Edge is great too.

Personally I'd go with the SOC 2-band. It's a great brush, ergonomic handle, good backbone, soft tips and great flow through. I prefer it to the Duke 2 I had and the Chubby 1 and 2 that I have.

Fitz Linson said:
Can you point me in the direction of the voucher code for vintage scent?

Cheers

If you are after a brush to suit your own needs why not talk to one of the guys on here that can make a brush for you?
Beejay (Bill)
Neep (Rod)
Both of them will make you a custom brush to your specifications (within reason.......:angel:)
or one from Fido (Pete) he has a good range to choose from.
If you don't want to pay for a "named" brush you will get great value from these guys and can have a brush that is unique to you?

See Diamond edge, you'll get a good deal on a Simpson.

I think you maybe able to get a Colonel 2XL in budget. I really want this brush but can't justify it at the moment.

missingskin said:
Fitz Linson said:

Cheers

If you are after a brush to suit your own needs why not talk to one of the guys on here that can make a brush for you?
Beejay (Bill)
Neep (Rod)
Both of them will make you a custom brush to your specifications (within reason.......:angel:)
If you don't want to pay for a "named" brush you will get great value from these guys and can have a brush that is unique to you?

Any idea what knot they use? TGN?

Cheers guys

I like the idea of buying from a 'local' producer and have had a PM from Fido so I think that's the route to take, plus it's my birthday next month so you never know what SWMBO will get me if I start dropping hints now!

Andy

Perished said:
missingskin said:
Fitz Linson said:

Cheers

Beejay (Bill)
Neep (Rod)

In the main I stick with TGN: Two Bband finest, Grade A Silvertip and Super all of which are superb quality and give exceptional performance.
I rate some of these knots on a par with some of the major brand knots.
If youre not worrying too much about budget then I can also supply Shavemac and another well known brand sometimes.
The TGN though are ultra relaiable in my opinion and to date I've only come across one suspect knot which shed a bit but I made the client another brush and I now use the original which has settled down.
Im currently testing a new supplier for Silvertip which I may introduce soon
Hope that helps.
regards, beejay

beejay said:
Perished said:
missingskin said:
Fitz Linson said:

Cheers

Beejay (Bill)
Neep (Rod)

In the main I stick with TGN: Two Bband finest, Grade A Silvertip and Super all of which are superb quality and give exceptional performance.
I rate some of these knots on a par with some of the major brand knots.
If youre not worrying too much about budget then I can also supply Shavemac and another well known brand sometimes.
The TGN though are ultra relaiable in my opinion and to date I've only come across one suspect knot which shed a bit but I made the client another brush and I now use the original which has settled down.
Im currently testing a new supplier for Silvertip which I may introduce soon
Hope that helps.
regards, beejay

Thanks for the info :icon_cool:

It sounds like you are on the way to being sorted now. I had a 2015HD, it is a very well made brush, typical Semogue quality. As a predominantly soap & stick user I disliked the floppiness of it. If you are still considerring a Semogue badger, i would go with the 2 Band SOC, it was developed as an all rounder.

Back
Top Bottom