cleaning old gummed up FPs

After getting a final F**k You of the ebayer who sold me the pens I might as well keep them.

Ive tried just trying to write with them with the converter fitted
but there is no ink flowing, so I'm going to assume the nibs are gummed
up with old dry ink.

Whats the best way to deal with this? I was thinking overnight in warm
water and washing up liquid and then try a flush through.

A sonic cleaner might work but unfortunately I dont have one.

I used a mug of quite warm water. Not hot. (sorry, not very helpful that is it?)
With no detergent.
I have used ultrasonic before, but our Aldi special has now died.

When its had a few rinses and changed water I then get the pen, get a mouthful of warm water and gently try and force water into the pen from the cartridge end. Almost like a blow pipe. After a while two things happen.
1: Water runs out the nib, getting clearer and clearer.
2: You get blue lips.

Although this has only really ever been 'mildly gunked' pens.

Also, shame about the outcome of ebay. I thought the hype was all 'buyer always wins disputes'?
Plenty of 25's on ebay. I bought a couple off there. One is near mint. Other, nib is knackered. Usual story, blurred photo showed the nib at an odd angle.
I'm still on the look out for a fibre tip 25, ballpoint 25 and mech pencil 25. So the damaged nib one I have will hopefully offer spares for these others.

balidey said:
I used a mug of quite warm water. Not hot. (sorry, not very helpful that is it?)
With no detergent.
I have used ultrasonic before, but our Aldi special has now died.

When its had a few rinses and changed water I then get the pen, get a mouthful of warm water and gently try and force water into the pen from the cartridge end. Almost like a blow pipe. After a while two things happen.
1: Water runs out the nib, getting clearer and clearer.
2: You get blue lips.

Although this has only really ever been 'mildly gunked' pens.

Also, shame about the outcome of ebay. I thought the hype was all 'buyer always wins disputes'?
Plenty of 25's on ebay. I bought a couple off there. One is near mint. Other, nib is knackered. Usual story, blurred photo showed the nib at an odd angle.
I'm still on the look out for a fibre tip 25, ballpoint 25 and mech pencil 25. So the damaged nib one I have will hopefully offer spares for these others.

Thanks for that. left the nibs in very warm water with a tiny bit of washing up liquid last night and that's free them up enough to get the ink flowing. I'l give them a proper blow through one evening this week.

As to the ebayer, I did get the money back and sent an email stating that I would
return the pens 2nd class signed for on receipt of an address but when I looked
at the feed back a couple of days later the vendor was on a hissy fit claiming
I'd not even returned them. So, in for a penny as they say.

oh! and I've just ordered a Lamy Safari 'cos I saw Prof Alice Roberts using a charcoal
one on a programme recently.

I got the same colour because yes, I am that much of a ponce.

Back
Top Bottom