Clumsy bastard....

... That I am, I have just cracked my Kindle 3's screen by dropping it, attempting to catch it and somehow knuckling the screen in doing so. Had I not tried to catch it, it would have fallen harmlessly on to the bed...

Naturally I shall phone Amazon tomorrow and see if I can get it replaced/repaired via them, if not I shall be procuring a replacement screen and "going in".

Might have to make an emergency purchase of a K4 to tide me over. Really boiling my piss just now that I was 2 pages from the end of a HÃ¥kan Nesser.

hunnymonster said:
... That I am, I have just cracked my Kindle 3's screen by dropping it, attempting to catch it and somehow knuckling the screen in doing so. Had I not tried to catch it, it would have fallen harmlessly on to the bed...

Naturally I shall phone Amazon tomorrow and see if I can get it replaced/repaired via them, if not I shall be procuring a replacement screen and "going in".

Might have to make an emergency purchase of a K4 to tide me over. Really boiling my piss just now that I was 2 pages from the end of a HÃ¥kan Nesser.

if you want to finish the book

go to amazon.co.uk

then to manage kindle.

then you can download book to pc.

then install calibre and you can read it through there (and transfer books to and from kindle)

hunnymonster said:
Really boiling my piss just now that I was 2 pages from the end of a HÃ¥kan Nesser.

Is that the one where it turns out to be the woman in the taxi from the first chapter? I was expecting it to be the flower-seller with his connections to the Mayor.

shanky887614 said:
if you want to finish the book....

I know I can download it to another device (and you assume it came from Amazon in the first place - which it didn't)... I've done that this morning and finished it off - but I couldn't be arsed doing that at midnight...

Called Amazon... their (perfectly fair) offer is £30 off a K4 or a Paperwhite and no need to return the K3... the K4 isn't for me (the boss has one and I don't like it in the hand), need to lay hands on a Paperwhite to see if that *is* for me. Oh and I've ordered a replacement screen for $36 delivered.

hunnymonster said:
Laid hands on a KPW yesterday - like the extra weight compared to the "standard" K4, not entirely convinced by the touch interface but worth a go I think. So it should be with me today... if Scrabble doesn't work well it'll be a travesty. Might be for sale in a week lol

Yes I haven't used the KPW to actually read a book. The touch screen is cool but I'm not sure what it will be like for turning pages. I do like the manual buttons on the side of my more basic one. I'll have another look at my father-in-law's KPW this week. Not that I'm in the market at the moment - completely skint!! :s

The replacement screen for the K3 has landed. So I know what I shall be doing this evening...

edit: oops - I seem to have made the replacement... working perfectly once more. Mercy me the screens are fragile though...

Anyone with a K4 thinking of doing this - it's not worth the hassle - rather than being clipped & screwed together like the earlier Kindles they're glued and it's a right chew on to do those (and the cost of the screen compared to a new one is a lot less compelling to make the repair)

From now on I'll be keeping quiet about the ability to repair a Kindle Keyboard for about £25 all in... just finished repairing a 4th one for friends, neighbours etc. The last one I do will be a white 3G kindle for me... "I don't want it back but if you can get some use out of it, you're welcome to it" :)

Back
Top Bottom