Cobra Classic Razor Review

I know this is a DE review section, and the Cobra is an SE razor, but I didn't know where else to put this review.

I have a couple of Injector Razors, and enjoy using them a great deal. They're easy to use, they do a good job, and changing the blades is fun! Then one day, I stumbled on to the Classic Shaving site and saw the Cobra Classic.

The Cobra is a razor that is designed to use the Feather Pro blades that fit the Feather AC straight razor, and is a bit like an Injector on steroids, but the blades don't 'inject' as such. I was quite disappointed by the fact that the Cobra was only available from the USA, because I have had one or two bad experiences shipping stuff from the states, so this made me reluctant to order one. So imagine how pleased I was to see that Executive Shaving had them in stock.

Fit And Finish

The razor is very well made. It's quite heavy, and the handle has an almost triangle cross section and is smooth on the top, but heavily knurled (I love that word) on the underside for improved grip. The plating (chrome?) is well done and has a nice shiny, almost mirror finish. The lever to release the lower 'jaw' of the head of the razor feels very positive and solid. The only place I can find anything that's not quite 100% is the lower jaw where the blade sits. The plating is slight rough where the blade sits, but doesn't affect the performance of the razor.

In Use

Fitting or changing the blade can be a bit fiddly, and maybe a little bit dangerous. The Feather Pro blades are about 2 inches wide, and very sharp! You have to be very careful, but if you pay attention to what you are doing and don't touch the sharp bits, you'll be ok. The blades don't 'inject', you slide them from the dispenser and place them on the open lower jaw of the razors head, and then CAREFULLY close it again. You do have to handle the blade quite a bit.

When you start to shave, the first thing that you have to adjust to is the width of the head. Its about 2 inches wide, so considerably wider than an Injector or a DE, and it took me a couple of shaves to really get used to this.

If you have ever shaved with an Injector, a single-blade cartridge, or a BIC single blade razor, using the Cobra will be that little bit easier. The is a guard bar, but the usual shaving rules still apply. NO PRESSURE, and you still have to keep an eye on the angle.

Feather DE blades, as most of us know, are sharp, and the Pro blades are no different, so a bit of caution is required, but I have to say that (as with the Slant) the vicious reputation and some of the reviews of this razor, from my experience, are poppycock! If you're careful with it, you get a nice, close and comfortable shave. Over the 6 complete shaves I have had with the Cobra, I think I have had a couple of weepers on my neck (the growth pattern swirls around, and it's my trouble spot), but no proper cuts or slices. It will get me eventually, when I'm not concentrating, but so far so good.

I mainly only shave WTG and XTG, and in this format it removes more beard than anything else I have tried except for my Futur, which seems to be more aggressive than both my Cobra and my Slant.

Summing Up

Cons

It's expensive.
The blades are not easy to get here in the UK.
Blade changing has some potential for accidents (don't they all?).
If you use a DE exclusively, it may take some getting used to.

Pros

Easy to use.
Mows any beard down.
Built like a tank.
Looks good.
Is that little bit exclusive.

I'm still getting used to it, but I'm getting close, comfortable shaves with no irritation and little effort, and I'm glad I took the plunge.

Any comments or questions welcome.

Ian

Re: Cobra Classic Razor

An excellent review Ian and what an impressive looking razor.
I think for me it would be looked at more than used due to the fiddly blade change and its aggressiveness but it's something I wouldn't mind having in my humble collection.
regards, beejay

Changed the blade this morning in the bathroom. It took about a minute.

Turn the lever - lower jaw drops down

Turn razor over and drop old bade into palm of hand

Put old bade into old blade storage on the bottom of the dispenser

Push new blade from dispenser

CAREFULLY place blade in razor

Push lower jaw up and turn the lever to lock

Done.

One advantage that these blades have, is that there is only ONE sharp edge.

Ian

Since you appear to really like the Cobra Classic I would suggest if you can't get the blades locally order them from an online barber supply co. However I noticed that Classic Shaving online has practically doubled their price on the Pro blades. But the online barber supplies are still very reasonably priced. I am talking about the shops in the U.S. They come 20 per dispenser so if you bought 5 packs that should last you at least a year or more.

FrenchBlade said:
Ian,

Would you mind adding some pics to you post? So a newb like me knows what it looks like?

Thanks!

FB.

I'll see what I can do.

Ian

Ian

Interesting razor! Have you ever shaved with a Gem SE razor with a Ted Pella blade? My understanding is that a GEM SE is a closer shave than an Injector. So I was wondering how the Cobra might compare.

Thanks
David

chicken neck said:
Ian

Interesting razor! Have you ever shaved with a Gem SE razor with a Ted Pella blade? My understanding is that a GEM SE is a closer shave than an Injector. So I was wondering how the Cobra might compare.

Thanks
David

I have shaved with DE, SE and Injector type razors, and can get comparable shaves with all.

The Cobra is more like the injector, but with a wider blade, and once you have adjusted to the weight and the width, it's pretty easy to get a good close shaves. Injectors are easier to use than the Cobra, and feel a bit 'safer'.

Ian

Hiya,

Rather then typing about how the Cobra looks or blade loading and the like, I will just mention the shave after five uses. I think that's enough times and don't see things changing much if at all through more shaves. The Kai Mild blade was loaded.

So it's an injector with an attitude. Yep, this thing takes some watching out for while it's on your face. The razor itself is fine......very nice feel in my hand. No, it's that Feather blade, giving me too close of a shave.....closer than I need. I can feel it on my face too much for it to be considered extremely comfortable. I have to be more careful than usual around the tricky areas and feel spooked pushing the envelope very much on the tough spots. Some drama to this shave.

Actually, the part about the Cobra being fine isn't quite right. It WOULD be fine if the thing tamed that blade better. I do like using a Feather blade quite a lot, but only in a very mild razor.

Now I am used to sharp injector blades, and the Personna74 is not far from Feather sharp. I have used those with poor luck....another that's too sharp. The blades I like are just below those......still plenty sharp but more forgiving. The Cobra will give you a little notice before something bad happens, something a Feather loaded DE razor won't do. Still, you gotta pay attention to detail.

Sadly, this beautiful piece of shaving crap isn't for me. Even if it was in the arsenal I would probably reach for other injector types first. I should mention my druthers in razors run towards the mild side......definitely so. That means what I object to is gonna be a minority point of view. Something to keep on mind.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom