Coffee Grinder

Bechet45 said:
It gets worse! Tony's link took me to a place I could understand - diameter, materials, fit in your hand, etc. A question had risen in my mind - a tamper suggests tamping, a light compression, so how much should you compress? - bearing in mind we don't want to cause the dreaded choking even if the grind is perfect.

But then Neil chucks into the pot - tampers "pre-tensioned to 30lb" - and I really don't know if we are into p**s-taking or if you are for real! Nespresso is never this difficult!

It leads us back to the quality of bean/grind being paramount but it's real, pre-tentioned or dynamometric tampers are a bit of a gimmick though as a good barista will learn one pretty quickly.

http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Macap-CPM2-Dynamometric-Tamper-57mm-stainless-steel-ST5E-29p3313.htm

No, not taking the pi$$ Carl - check here:

http://espro.ca/tamper/

Nothing wrong with Nespresso, instant, Camp Coffee - whatever anyone likes is the one for them. It's a little like the 'fussiness' of DE Shaving compared to a more straight forward electric shave. My thing is and has been for many years coffee and the rituals surrounding it.

I just pop along for a browse to see what you are all discussing, and I come away having bought a new tamper.

Not one of any of the expensive ones mentioned, just a nice simple one from madebyknock.com

I thought the knock.com tampers looked more substantial than a basic Motta and indeed they were so I think they're decent value as well as being made in the UK.

Lose the beard said:
I just pop along for a browse to see what you are all discussing, and I come away having bought a new tamper.

Hah! you should complain! All I wanted was a new rotary brush for the turbo-head of my old Dyson. I finished up getting that £7 part for free (out-of-stock, two week wait, is that OK?) - along with a spanking new £80 -off-with-an-extra-tool-kit-worth-£44.50-thrown-in-and-free-delivery-as-well Dyson DC39 Animal. Which set me back £290! I still don't know whether Emma did a number on me or if I'm pleased.

Bechet45 said:
Lose the beard said:

Hah! you should complain! All I wanted was a new rotary brush for the turbo-head of my old Dyson. I finished up getting that £7 part for free (out-of-stock, two week wait, is that OK?) - along with a spanking new £80 -off-with-an-extra-tool-kit-worth-£44.50-thrown-in-and-free-delivery-as-well Dyson DC39 Animal. Which set me back £290! I still don't know whether Emma did a number on me or if I'm pleased.

:icon_razz:

Audiolab said:
A while back I was happy as a clam drinking "quality" freeze dried, now sometimes I wonder if I need a Gantt chart to make a hot drink.

I worry that's what it turns into, I think most of us, or at least certainly me are guilty of unnecessarily complicating things in life.

Went to the cupboard to fetch a new bag of beans and also found a bag of espresso grounds left over from before I owned a grinder. Aha! I thought - an opportunity to check out what we've talked about in this thread.

Definately finer ground than I've been grinding. Let's see how it performs in the Bialetti stove-top and oh! wow! what a difference. So I've twisted the grinder to a finer setting and put the resul into a cafetiere and oh! wow! what a difference.

The downside is that I can better taste why these are not my favourite beans but that is a price of seeking what is to my taste. And a new question - how fine do I go? A tad finer than Blob 2 methinks but thinking of the cafetiere mesh gauge - hm! that is pretty damn fine.

So, I thought I would update the thread now my tamper has arrived.

At the third attempt the tamper I ordered from madebyknock.com actually arrived today, and what a revelation it is.

I don't have a vast collection of tampers, unlike some members of the forum ;), I only have 3.

The first of my tampers, left in the picture, was the little plastic thing that came with my coffee machine, it was obvious to me on day 1 that it was rubbish and would have to be replaced.

The replacement, being impatient had to be delivered next day and the only one I could find was a big metal thing off Amazon, pictured in the middle, which I initially thought was fine, but I was having problems with it as it would tip whilst I was trying to press down. This I determined was due to the fact the bottom wasn't perfectly flat.

Today the tamper on the right arrived. It's just the Simple Tamper from madebyknock, but it is such an improvement it is amazing. The bottom is perfectly flat, the sides are vertical, which makes the whole tamping operation much easier. I'm really impressed with this, and it wasn't really very expensive. I'm sure todays coffee tastes better as a result as well.

Same as mine near enough, that plastic tamp really can't count as a collectable can it? That would be like including a disposable razor in your razor collection ;).

He does have an ebay shop too...the seller is known as knocktop.

Oh here you go...if prospective buyers are having trouble buying from his site.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/knocktop/m.html?item=290901368002&pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item43bb129cc2&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Back
Top Bottom