Cologne longevity

I was a little disappointed with the longevity of a couple of TOBS cologne samples received recently. The scent seemed to disappear within the first hour. Have ordered samples of Serge Lutens Chergui, L'eau and Au Gingembre. These being Eau de Parfums, I'm assuming they should linger longer than the colognes.:icon_sad:

Of the colognes I've tried, most of the Penhaligons and Floris scents go a good 12 hours plus on me, which easily makes up for the higher initial oulay. In the 'bargain' section, Pashana takes a long time to shift. It's a good 'old-fashioned' barbershop style scent at less than a tenner a bottle.

I've been disappointed in all the TOBS products that I've tried, sadly, as they frequently seem to appear at very low prices in our local TK Maxx!

We discussed something similar last week - here are the strengths - and it explains why some last longer than others given the concentration of perfume.

Eau de Perfume (or Eau de Parfum)

As its name suggests, Eau de Perfume is a diluted version of Perfume, usually containing between 8% and 15% perfume oil. Since it has less perfume oil, it's also less expensive, but still provides a fragrant scent for up to 5 hours. This makes it a good alternative if you want the longer lasting effect of a Perfume without the hefty price tag.

Eau de Toilette (EDT)

Eau de Toilette is a lighter version of Eau de Perfume that is considered a ‘middle of the road' fragrance as it is less expensive and only lasts up to 4 hours. Containing between 4% and 10% perfume oil, Eau de Toilette is popular among men, who prefer to have a fragrance that doesn't overwhelm the senses or last all day long.

Eau de Cologne (Cologne)

Eau de Cologne is often confused with Eau de Toilette as they both provide a light smelling fragrance. However, Eau de Cologne has less perfume oil, usually containing between 2% and 5%. This makes it more affordable and shorter lasting than Eau de Toilette, so it's commonly used by men who want a splash of fragrance to start their day or night.

Aftershave (A/S)

Aftershave is often believed to be stronger than Eau de Toilette or Eau de Cologne. This is probably because they have the word ‘eau' (French for ‘water') in their name, which could be taken to imply that they are watered down. However, Aftershave contains only 1% to 3% perfume oil. It isn't meant to last too long because its main purpose is cooling and soothing the skin after shaving, which is where its name comes from.

Personally I find these timings to be on the low side as a decent EdT certainly stays with me for longer than 4 hours.

Enlightening, I also guess that the more expensive the ingredients that constitute the scent, the more likely that the % perfume oil content will be lower?

Agree that figures are probably conservative; Penhaligons and Floris EDTs can hang around on me for 12 hours.

Savvy Paul said:
Enlightening, I also guess that the more expensive the ingredients that constitute the scent, the more likely that the % perfume oil content will be lower?

You could be right Paul - or it could work that the more expensive ones have a higher proportion of perfume oil. There are some big variations in the make up so it will alll depend on brands I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom