Culmak Viscount bristle

After a thrilling Australia v New Zealand tri nations rugby (22-23) it's Everton v Man U (1-3 right now) But a chap must keep busy (who says we men can't multi - task?)

This might seem a lot to say about a cheap brush but here it is.

First some pics including a comparison with a Semogue LE 2009. And the brush is shown after use. I forgot to take a pic before I lathered it up!

Culmak.jpg

DSC_2507.jpg

DSC_2509.jpg

DSC_2513.jpg

There is not a lot to know about Culmak from their website which I am having difficulty in accessing today: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.culmak.co.uk/products.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.culmak.co.uk/products.htm</a><!-- m -->

They say they have been making hand finished brushes in the UK since 1805. They list a few low priced shaving items. Among them was this bristle brush which is the most expensive on offer at £4.99 delivered. Take out postage and VAT and they are left with £3.08.

So what do we get for our money? Well it's not a lot of brush. It comes in a neat piece of packaging. It stands in a handle 50 mm in height and mine has a knot at base of 22 mm with a loft of 54 mm. The hard nucleus above the handle is around 1 cm effectively reducing the loft to about 46 mm. It's obviously a cheap feeling plastic handle but is quite robust. The brush head is well made ( bought in bulk from China)? And sits comfortably in the "Made in Britain" handle, the only marking on the brush.

It's a stiff brush and really digs into hard soaps, generating adequate lather providing you refresh on the puck after each pass. Not a lot of lather can be held in the brush but it's adequate. For first shaves the brush is very firm. Paints on easily in relative comfort, will scrub and massage without feeling too prickly. All in all it simply does the job. Not a match for more illustrious competition but if better quality doesn't interest you it will probably serve you well for years.

This brush again proves that just about any brush will enable you to have a decent shave. Once you master the best way of using it you will find it comfortable to use. Prices like this make you wonder about how on earth companies like Culmak can survive. Most of their shaving products must yield very small profit margins. One can only assume that they sell large numbers to cover their business costs and make an adequate return.

What a match 1-3 to 3-3 in the last two minutes!

Thanks for the review Fido, I've got one of these that I inherited from my Dad. It served him well for a couple of years, before that he had what looked like a Culmak Senior and he wore that one out after many, many years.
I can't imagine what he would think about the brush/soap/cream/blades/razor collection I have. He had one brush, one soap or cream, one razor, one pack of blades. Funny thing is, he was always better shaved than me. :( :lol:

Pete said:
He had one brush, one soap or cream, one razor, one pack of blades. Funny thing is, he was always better shaved than me. :( :lol:
Be not envious - perhaps he was numbered among the enlightened who at last found the brush, the soap or cream, the razor and the pack of blades!

Back
Top Bottom