Cussons Vintage Shaving Soap

Thought I'd share this find from 'me dad, God knows when it's from (he can't remember - I reckon early 90s/late 80s)

Strange how it doesn't list ingredients. I've noticed it shares the same Palmolive green base and indeed foil.

Gonna' give it a lather tomorrow and report back :D

PS. Hi, BTW (new member)

Attachments

• IMG20230506151433.jpeg
    IMG20230506151433.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG20230506151442.jpeg
    IMG20230506151442.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG20230506151351.jpeg
    IMG20230506151351.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG20230506151405.jpeg
    IMG20230506151405.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 14
Back then, you didn't have to display ingredients. Suffice to say, the first ingredient is Unobtainium ... and that makes the soap super-special!

Welcome aboard!
Good on you for using a vintage soap - I very much enjoy using vintage soaps and there's nothing to fear as they don't "go off". I have one that is certainly from the 1930s and it's lovely! Several from the 1950s and a good spread from the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s & 1990s.

Have fun!

Thanks for the welcomes,

Judging by the foil and green base, I bet this stick in question was made in the same factory as Palmolive back in the day?

I remember the Palmolive stick in the bathroom when I was knee high!

Let us know how you get on.

I have a few Imperial Leather and Cussons shave soaps, some of which I've used.
I've older soaps that I can't bring myself to use unless I get at least one duplicate. But if something is a bit of a legend (like Old Spice or Yardley) this preservation instinct goes out the window as the curiosity gets too much.
Let's hope you don't get the itch for more vintage shave soaps. If you do get the itch treat it with some cream... vintage shaving cream!

Judging by the foil and green base, I bet this stick in question was made in the same factory as Palmolive back in the day?

Cussons were acquired by Paterson Zochonis in 1975 to form PZ Cussons. Colgate Palmolive is a direct competitor to PZ Cussons, so doubt very much the soap was made in the same place. Curiously, Paterson Zochonis goes back to the 1880s, exporting palm oil out of Sierra Leone. Cussons soaps came out of the Gerard Soap Works factory in Nottingham which was acquired in 1955. That factory closed as late as 2006 and production moved to Thailand.

What is likely is that the base was made by the same producer and sold to both companies.

Last edited:
Hi Craig welcome aboard,
Great find and a nice razor & brush also.
Just for your info if you want to spice it up a bit you can easily obtain vintage cussons aftershave on ebay for around the £15 mark,
I have two different and both really nice

Nice razor & brush also.
Cheers, I wish all DE razors were adjustable, as well as TTO!

I'm gonna try Wizamet Iridium soon.
you can easily obtain vintage cussons aftershave on ebay
I was gonna get a fragrance oil and do it that way, a lot cheaper and primarily the same smell. There's a lot out there if you like a designer fragrance but don't want to spend the designer price.

Cheers, I wish all DE razors were adjustable, as well as TTO!

I'm gonna try Wizamet Iridium soon.

I was gonna get a fragrance oil and do it that way, a lot cheaper and primarily the same smell. There's a lot out there if you like a designer fragrance but don't want to spend the designer price.
you’ll soon adjust to whatever you decide to use,
this shaving mark is a minefield but yes your right about the oils.
especially the middle eastern type

Back
Top Bottom