Czech & Speake No 88

This comes as a 90g puck of soap that is a dark grey in colour. (Slightly darker than depicted on the C&S web site).

The lather from this soap is the most instantaneous i have come across so far, it literally lathers on contact with the brush to an abundant level.

In use this lather is very dense whilst also providing a nice level of glide and holds its consistency between re-lathering well. I’ll compare this to the Valobra and Speick sticks in regards to performance, but it requires slightly more water in the brush or added whilst building to get there.

I’ve had no issues with it drying my skin post shave.

Scent, this is still puzzling me, it’s a floral/woody type but not something I can easily explain. Rose is not what I get or find, it leans towards a dark – heavy type of floral that whilst not a horrible or pungent smell, it just doesn’t seem to match with anything i have tried before.

Price, a puck of this without a bowl is £20 at the time of this post, considering i found the performance to be as near as identical to two very good performing soaps, this is really going to be down to the scent.

Definitely a smell before you buy soap, especially at this price point.

Re: Czeck & Speake No 88

Another nice review from Richard.

Just to add my experience and comments from using this, beware as the scent is dark indeed and pretty strong when the puck is in storage (using open top soap bowl it fills with smell all over the drawer where I store my soaps).
The soap lathers exceptionally and needs just a bit of water pre-shave in order to soften and be ready for loading the brush.
The #88 is a pretty unique and unforgettable scent though it may not be for everyone, so best if you could sample before committing to buy (this applies especially for the cologne).

Back
Top Bottom