Does anyone use Frank Shaving brushes?

I just saw some very reasonably priced brushes by Frank Shaving.

I was just wondering what the quality of hair is like? Are the tips trimmed to shape? How dense are they?

Or do I have to take the plunge myself?!

Dipesh

The Frank Finest is a really good value brush that will give you a very accepatable shaving experience. But get one with a loft of no more than 52mm for a 22mm knot. I got mine a while back so the specs may have changed by now. If funds are limited, Frank brushes are a good option. And if you are building a cross section of brushes, it's a good example to have. The silvertip was not such good value and was not as enjoyable to use as the Finest.

I have a Frank Shaving Finest 24mm and it's one of my favorite brushes, and also the best quality/price brush I have! The loft is 51/52mm but with the 24mm knot it has sufficient backbone, I only face lather, but I'm told that you could contact the seller Ian Tang to have a loft reduction with no substantial price increase!

It's greatest "defect" is the light weight handle that doesn't compare to a more high end brush. The handle I choose is very good ergonomically speaking, if you don't have a problem with it being a ripped off Shavemac handle copy! If it had more heft to it...

I'll leave you some pictures of mine with another brush some of you might know :icon_wink:

img1071v.jpg

img1063k.jpg

img1065g.jpg

rntdcarvalho said:
I have a Frank Shaving Finest 24mm and it's one of my favorite brushes, and also the best quality/price brush I have! The loft is 51/52mm but with the 24mm knot it has sufficient backbone, I only face lather, but I'm told that you could contact the seller Ian Tang to have a loft reduction with no substantial price increase!

It's greatest "defect" is the light weight handle that doesn't compare to a more high end brush. The handle I choose is very good ergonomically speaking, if you don't have a problem with it being a ripped off Shavemac handle copy! If it had more heft to it...

I'll leave you some pictures of mine with another brush some of you might know :icon_wink:

img1071v.jpg

img1063k.jpg

img1065g.jpg

Funny you post that actually.

I really want that Chunky but currently funds are limited (damn houses!) and so Frank Shaving has come into the picture.

SBAD had got me good and proper at the moment!!!!

Dipesh said:
Funny you post that actually.

I really want that Chunky but currently funds are limited (damn houses!) and so Frank Shaving has come into the picture.

SBAD had got me good and proper at the moment!!!!

I clearly prefer 24mm knots, except for the Semogue 2010 (has a 22mm knot but the loft is so high, 57mm, that feels a lot like a 24mm on the face). I find that smaller knots have their advantages in lather placing and all, but don't give me same pleasure, and for me wet shaving is all about pleasure!
That said, if I'm allowed to make an extremely unfair comparison between the two, being as the NF is a 22mm knot, I prefer the Frank Shaving. It has softer tips, a greater surface on the face and a more ergonomic handle! The NF has more backbone and a way better quality handle, hefty with great weight. I really must try a one of Peter's new 24mm brushes, and that bone handled one is making a very good siren's call...

But to answer your questions:
Quality of hair -> With use the tips got a lot softer than I would anticipate on the first uses of the brush, it really surprised me in that. My only Simpson is a Commodore X2 in Best, the Frank is softer! Natural bristle backbone I would say medium, not particularly thick like European badger two bands, normal.
Tips trimmed to shape -> Don't think it could be that soft if it was!
How dense are they? -> Regular/medium dense, not Simpson dense, far from it, but good flow through, doesn't splay like a mop or anything, hope the picture will further elucidate you!

Back
Top Bottom