Durham Dorset

I thought I'd dump my Sunday night shave in here as well ....

Bit of a cool shave tonight. But, hang on ... didn't I post a SOTD this morning AND one last night? Why, yes I did. I was getting to grips with a PAL Adjustable injector and it rather felt like my last mows with a blunt cartridge leaving me with patchy scratchiness this evening.

What with work tomorrow I thought I'd have a quick polish to even things up.

I chose a known good favourite combination and ... ZIP! Of course I didn't, suckers! You know me :D

I went with the wildcard! The same chap who leant me his PAL Adjustable popped a Durham Dorset in with a honed blade and a couple of new blades. Well, Durham razors have been out of the shaving game for some time, so I reckon the "new" blades are carpet cutters. He did hone up the vintage blade that was in the razor but suggested I hand stropped it prior to use.

I can do better than that! I have a Lillicrap!

IMG_4789.JPG

IMG_4799.JPG

So, 25 strokes each quarter, soaked in Dettol, spritzed with alcohol and dried off, I went a mowing ...

Wow! This is fun!

The razor is huge! It's twice the length of a DE, if not more. It's gonna be a shredder! You know it is ... but, it isn't. I cannot recall a smoother, more intuitive, irritation-free and rewarding shave, well, I hesitate to say "ever" but you get my gist.

Is it a DE? Is is a Duplex? Is there a difference? Does Vinny wear ladies panties and do the Cha-Cha like a cissy?

The curve of the handle initially looks like it should only be used with one side of the blade, but actually the back of the head is there in the right position to draw back up against the grain once you've enjoyed a slick slice with the grain. But, but, the lather! Won't someone think of the lather? No drama, my friend. Going back against the grain, lather-free, curiously seems to work.

Okay, so what did I use?

IMG_4805.JPG

Hot Towel
Palmolive Cream
Pure Badger 23mm
Durham Dorset/Honed Blade
Hot Rinse & Cold Rinse (no Alum or Witch Hazel, as is my usual routine)
Brut Aftershave Lotion

Bowl Lathered
Two Pass - With and Against the grain

Wow! Enjoyed!

I'm green, dabba-dee dabba-die ... no, that's blue isn't it?

You know what?

If someone told me that the carpet cutters that Durham still sell (and incidentally reference their shaving past on the product website) were the self-same razors that they made for shaving and they came in at a price I liked, I could really go for one of these. It's that step towards single edge shaving that fills me with shivers - all that honing, stropping and beggaring about. Give me a disposable.

If someone told me these blades were available, I might well jump at one of these razors in a flash!

Back
Top Bottom