Ebay - a bit of advice please.

I've won an auction and after just over a week I've messaged the seller to ask him to confirm that he's sent it, he's come back asking for my telephone number (and giving his) which strikes me as dodgy. I've replied saying I don't see the need to chat about it I just want to know its been sent or if not when it will be.

My reckoning is that I should keep everything via the Ebay message system, to maintain a "paper trail" in case I need go through the resolution process. Is that right and does anyone have any other advice?

Jeltz said:
My reckoning is that I should keep everything via the Ebay message system, to maintain a "paper trail" if I need go through the resolution process. Is that right and does anyone have any other advice?

That's what I would do.

Ian

Maybe I'm a bit naive but can't you do it both ways:
- Use a public telephone (not your own) to call the guy and find out why he wants to call
- Confirm anything discussed via the ebay system

Contact Ebay, tell them the same thing you are telling us, they will then drop him a E-mail, them he will have to explain the reason why he wants you to telephone him or send your goods.

Jamie

pugh-the-special-one said:
Contact Ebay, tell them the same thing you are telling us, they will then drop him a E-mail, them he will have to explain the reason why he wants you to telephone him or send your goods.

Jamie

This is the best advice. Ebay will sort things out for you, it's one of the reasons we pay them fees. At the end of the day, you have paid for the item and the item hasn't been received. As long as you go by the Ebay rules they will help.

In my experience this happens when the seller wants to try and avoid paying the final value fees on the item they are selling. One chap asked me to send him a cheque, and he would then post the item to me, then we would both cancel the transaction on Ebay, thereby saving him his seller fees. If ebay discover this is happening they will exclude both the seller and the buyer from ever trading on there again.

If this is not what he wants then as has already been said, message him through ebay, so that all records are kept, that way you are protected.

Jeltz said:
I've won an auction and after just over a week I've messaged the seller to ask him to confirm that he's sent it, he's come back asking for my telephone number (and giving his) which strikes me as dodgy. I've replied saying I don't see the need to chat about it I just want to know its been sent or if not when it will be.

My reckoning is that I should keep everything via the Ebay message system, to maintain a "paper trail" in case I need go through the resolution process. Is that right and does anyone have any other advice?

That's the way I would play it. Sometimes it's good to speak - to arrange a pick up for example but otherwise what's the need?

He hasn't done anything underhand or out of the ordinary yet and you have no idea why he want's to exchange numbers so I would keep it online and civil. If you don't send your number he should get the message that you don't want to play.

Use a subtle hint in your messages that you work for the secret service (or similar), hence you not being able to be available for phone conversation/leave your number, as your boss does not permit it. (also might discourage him from trying anything funny!)

Max

Good idea FB I've sent a message saying that I shall be away visiting the head of a rival family in Sicily, so I won't be able to ring as I shall have to have my phone switched off.

Yes Tony, I've kept it very civil as getting arsey tends to make anything worse.

I've had a couple of, none too clear, messages back and they seem willing. Reading between the lines it seems to be a case that its a father and son and that father listed the auction and has been in and out of hospital and that son is sending stuff out, anyway I'm told its being sent today, and to compensate my for my trouble they will include something else, which as far as I remember was listed in the auction anyway, but at least they are sorting it out.

I think Martin has pretty much hit the nail on the head there, a fee avoider, but yes I would keep to message system and follow normal routes as it isn't worth being banned over.

Well its part resolved, the auction was for 2 Rolls Razors and 2 blade boxes. Its unclear if the blade boxes are full or not but the 2 rolls razors were delivered but not the blade boxes, which are being sent separately :?

The nice thing is that I think I have 2 decentish strops one decent blade and one decent hone. The not so decent blade might clean up so we'll see, otherwise the handles and tins are fine.

Back
Top Bottom