Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley Chrome Review

[attachment=11457]

What got me into long handled razors was, oddly enough, the Azor M Sensitive razor by King Of Shaves. It is probably one of the longest around at 13.5cm not including the cartridge bit, or 14.5cm overall, using 4 or 5 blade cartridges, and weighing 47g if you have used the metal version. And another previous razor, the Wilkinson Sword Protector, also has a fairly weighty handle. So my choice of DE razor had to be one with a long handle with some weight, and my original choice was the Merkur Barberpole 38C, at 10cm in length, weighing 120g.

But further searches took me to Edwin Jagger and the Chatsworth Barley chrome razor, weighing 110g, and 10.5 cm in handle length. I liked its shape, size, texture, and weight, and if I had stuck to buying the 38C I know I would have wanted the Chatsworth if I had seen it later on. So I took the plunge and got the Chatsworth.

Although the English Shaving Company website does not feature the Chatsworth Barley, only the plain chrome or lined versions, you can request the Barley pattern. That's what I did and got it.

It arrived 24 hours after I had ordered it from The English Shaving Company, along with some Derby blades, EJ shaving cream and free samples, and I started using the razor a few days later. I still had a few BIC single blade disposables which I used for a short period due to sore cheeks from the Azor. For some reason, after 10 months of okay shaving with this thing, I developed soreness and flaky skin which had started clearing up with the BICs, and has gone altogether since using the Chatsworth.

So that must be saying something, in that I began proper DE shaving in the middle of problem skin. The only other DE razor I have used was the Wilkinson Sword Classic between 1992 and 2000, which is not a bad razor for an absolute beginner. I did use a Schick Injector single blade razor in the late 1970s when they were still available. Other than that I can only compare the Chatsworth against cartridge razors against which the Chatsworth is definitely superior. Somehow, it brings pleasure to shaving, and that is something many DE users are finding. The shave is certainly better than the Azor, and on the second pass, I sometimes have a pencil thin line of cream left between the shaven patches, which tells me just how straight and accurate this razor is.

Although I'm right handed I always start on the left, shaving WTG, then 2 passes XTG in opposite directions, but no ATG. I rinse in tepid water, and at the time of writing this review I used One Planet shave balm which is pretty good – all natural ingredients.

The razor can be a little awkward to use with my left hand when shaving XTGL, but the good thing is that you can hold the razor further up or down the handle, giving you the best of both a short and long handled razor. But due to the bulbed end, it may be a little awkward to hold if you want a bit of leverage - think of it like a ladder leaning on a wall, but the natural pressure on my skin feels right. The grip is good, and I don't get wet hands when shaving. I'll practice more with my left hand as well. I could hear a mild crackle as the stubble yielded.

Changing the blade is easier to do if you place the razor head face down onto a cloth and turn the handle gently via the circular bit on the end. It is a three piece razor and I usually take it apart and wash with a soft bristle toothbrush in warm soapy water after every 4th shave, rinse in clear warm water, then dry with a paper kitchen towel, not forgetting to dry the internal threading at the top of the handle. I then leave the razor in pieces and put a fresh blade in the next day. The shaving brush can be washed in mild shampoo from time to time.

Is the £70 price worth it? If you use the Chatsworth as your only or main razor then it is. The weight and texture are probably what makes it this price, being brass with chrome plating. And somehow, brass is reminiscent of Victorian artefacts – no steel as far as I know which might make the razor seem too functional, unless the head has some. But if the razor merely gets added to a rotation and used once a week say, then a smaller, cheaper EJ razor may be more suitable. I don't collect razors, but I respect those who do because you have valuable knowledge of how one compares against the other.

I began using the razor with Ingrams shaving cream, but that was a leftover from when I used the Azor. That was followed by Erasmic, the old Jordan made coconut formulation. Also, a Men U boar shaving brush, but I have also used the Omega syntex 90065 albino badger effect bristle. Nowadays, I use the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Ebony synthetic bristle shaving brush. I have also used various razor blades from sample packs and other purchases, as well as other shaving creams.

Overall, I think the Chatsworth Barley Chrome is well worth it as a main razor used most of the week. The savings in gel and cartridges (at around £5.95 for 6 KOS 'Enduriums') will take a while to recoup, but if the razor is that good I'll hopefully not want another one, and that will save me money as well.

Attachments

• EJ#1.jpg
    EJ#1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Chatsworth Barley.jpg
    Chatsworth Barley.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 2
RE: Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley Chrome

not a chatsworth user, but i do have a loxley handle, which is the next one up.. similar size and weight. I find it to be an excellent shaver.

Fido said:
Another Chatsworth fan here. A close up largish pic would be good to see.

Hi Fido, I don't have a camera, but I'll get a pic from somewhere and ask if it's okay to post it here.

Tim B said:
Fido said:
Another Chatsworth fan here. A close up largish pic would be good to see.

Hi Fido, I don't have a camera, but I'll get a pic from somewhere and ask if it's okay to post it here.

Don't worry, perhaps this will do for now:

100_0538.jpg

shrink said:
not a chatsworth user, but i do have a loxley handle, which is the next one up.. similar size and weight. I find it to be an excellent shaver.

Hi, I just looked at EJ's website, and the Loxley is a discontinued model. Is yours a cartridge version or for DE? I also noticed the 'Plaza' model as well, like a more chunky Chatsworth.

Hiya,

A while back I was lucky enough to try a few razors with the newer EJ/Muhle head. One was the DE89 or something like that, and it was the lighter of the two. Not very pricey, but the same head as in the more expensive Lined Chatsworth I used. Shaves were somewhat similar but different, which I'll get into in a minute. Oh yeah, I didn't read any of the previous reviews in the thread, but I'll bet money I'm gonna be in the minority here.

Neither one was a good fit, and that was after trying three different blades in the things. Yeah, I wanted to like the razor, so I even screwed around with various blades. No go for me.

I believe the head has some angles to it that do not agree with my technique. The blade presentation somehow feels awkward while shaving....never getting completely comfortable and always having to pay more attention than I should for this mild of a razor. It's not very aggressive, but it feels like it on my face. Almost seems like there's a less rounded profile to it....sharper edges feeling if that makes sense.

The Lined Chatsworth was the more unpleasant of the two. Extremely handle heavy, which adds another variable to the mix. Ok, I can tweak things for that strange balance, but I couldn't get past the actual weight. That is one substantial piece (110g), and it added a bit more bite to the shave, even when trying to use negative pressure. Oh yeah.........did I mention something about not many other reviews probably have been like this?

So there you have it.....a non convert. I gave this newer head 7-8 attempts, and that was enough. It happens, but it's too bad because there's some beautiful looking razors with that same head. I should also mention the fit and finish being very good with both, and that Chatsworth was a real beauty..

Martin

Interesting the issue of technique. I try to use every razor that I buy with two or three different blades to see how they respond. DE or SE I'm the one controling the razor and my 'technique' really remains constant. Right or wrong I use short choppy strokes.
That is until I received a Merkur Futur last week. I found that from the 1st stroke I started to take long, almost full faced strokes. Total different from the way I usually shaved. The chg was unconscious and felt totally natural.
The shaves have been very good with an honest 2pass shave lasting the whole day.
My point, if there is one , do these reviews evaluate the razor or the technique being used with that razor?? I saw the same happening with the reviews on the muhle 41R. May be the razor just picks the person! Strange...

That's a really good question about whether it's technique being evaluated or the razor. What I did find was that after a few months I started holding the Chatsworth at too steep an angle, and this caused some tugging to occur. It could be down to the weight at 110g.

But this was 'cured' when I used the Merkur 25C open comb razor, because with that razor you have to get the angle right or nothing happens at all. Yet, get the angle wrong with the Chatsworth, or any similar headed closed comb razor, and tugging occurs. But if I hold the Chatsworth at the correct angle, and spread my fingers more evenly along the handle, this improved technique works and there is no tugging.

The shaving angle problem was cured after spending time shaving with the 25C then going back to using the Chatsworth. And a while ago I posted in Shaving Help a question about holding the Chatsworth, and Fido posted some really informative pictures of how he holds the Chatsworth, and that has helped greatly.

So maybe there could be a danger that someone might buy the Chatsworth (whether chrome or ebony/horn/ivory version) for its looks, and find it may not work unless they then spend time working on technique. This is especially so, given that the chromed versions have a long heavy handle.

I have found the best razor blade to use with the Chatsworth is the Gillette 365, but obviously this is an individual thing.

Back
Top Bottom