Ever Ready 1914- why so hard to find

mpf9ret

Supporter
Supporter
i have tried/brought a few SE Razors,mainly of ER Family. I am lucky to have got a 1914,
in very nice condition, to go with others I have.

Having shaved with it today, i rate as between 1912 & 1924 for comfort with performance.

Have looked to see if i could find another,but they seem quite scarce. Is it perhaps
that they did not sell so well,because of locking mechanism, or perhaps they got
damaged because of the design. ?

Possibly because they only sold for little over 5 years?

By 1919, Ever Ready were (ever)readying its replacement, the 1924 as we call it. Yes, examples sold beyond 1919 but as a model, it was dead and gone by probably the early 1920s.

pjgh said:
Possibly because they only sold for little over 5 years?

By 1919, Ever Ready were (ever)readying its replacement, the 1924 as we call it. Yes, examples sold beyond 1919 but as a model, it was dead and gone by probably the early 1920s.
Paul,
i thought if anyone might provide an answer it would be you. I must be lucky to have
a really nice example. Shaves well too.
Mike

I'm guessing ...

What we have to think about is the vibrant competition and incestuous dramas that unfolded between Kampfe/Star, GEM Cutlery & the American Safety Razor Co. Yes, ultimately, it all came together in 1919, for which both ASR and GEM had their "new" razors in the 1924 and the 1912 replacing the 1914 and Damaskeene (1912), respectively, so the merger really ended up more as a confusion which had worked itself out by 1930 with the introduction of the Micromatic, wiping out pretty much all Ever Ready innovations and re-releasing the 1912 under all names: GEM, Star & Ever Ready.

Thinking back to the 1910s, the 1914 and the Damaskeene were head to head. We know Damaskeene was pushed hard through advertising and both were carried in popular department stores of the day, but I think the Damaskeene was more the "Gillette Mach 3" to the "Wilko Quattro" 1924, if you see what I mean?

Yes, Gordy ... sniper scopes are the order of the day. I've got 5x 1914s and not selling any :D Two are show pieces as they no longer hold a blade, but beyond that I have a pre-1919 "Co. Inc" and a post-1919 "Corp" as well as an earlier example with a stropper in the handle. They are nice razors and shave so well ... I put the 1914 as my favourite, even over the 1912. In a dire emergency, I'd grab a 1912, but the 1914 is a more special shave to me.

Ah yes Paul...but I know where you live! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
What I love about these SE's is that they not only shave great, I think they look even better! They'll appear when they appear!
My daughter won't leave my 1912 alone since see tried it to see what I was fussing about. Unsuccessfully tried hiding it but she'd nicked the blades!!

The Wasp said:
There were two on eBay s fortnight ago ,I bought one and the second didn't sell I think. Could be worth keeping an eye open for a relisting..
Think it may have been one i was after,but was not around near end of auction. Hope
it was a goodie. If it was Uk site, the 1914 advertised,is in fact a 1912.
Mike

Its a cracker of a razor but there was another genuine 1914 up just a while after the one I luckily managed to win and I'malmost sure it didn't sell. I saw the 1912 posing as a 1914, but I reckon the seller is trying a tie in with WW1 as he really isn't sure about the history of the razor. He doesn't have the benefit of the extensive research done by Paul which has taught us all so much about these fascinating pieces of social/engineering history

Greetings

As Paul said 1914 Little Lather Catchers were not in production very long especially compared with 1912's which were made for years and years; also they were made solely in the USA unlike ER 1912's where some were manufactured in the UK.

It follows that for every one on e-bay UK there will be very many more on e-bay USA and that is the place to look, you just have to put up with the postage charges or wait an eternity for one to show on Ebay UK.

Regards
Dick.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

As Paul said 1914 Little Lather Catchers were not in production very long especially compared with 1912's which were made for years and years; also they were made solely in the USA unlike ER 1912's where some were manufactured in the UK.

It follows that for every one on e-bay UK there will be very many more on e-bay USA and that is the place to look, you just have to put up with the postage charges or wait an eternity for one to show on Ebay UK.

Regards
Dick.
Hi Dick,
I realise that US site is place to look,but they seem pretty thin on ground there.
Mike

... further, often they are not listed as "1914" or even "Little Lather Catcher", simply "Ever Ready Razor". That last phrase seems to be the one to use and just scour through the results. The shape is quite distinct and they do stand out when scrolling through pages of razors ... happy hunting :D

After a 3rd consecutive day on the 1914,at differing times of day,am beginning to think,
they might have been discontinued because they were/are so good!
Mike B

Back
Top Bottom