Failing To Tame The Beast!

I'm the current beneficiary (I think) of the pass around R41. I'm also the lucky father of two "can't sleep through the night" kids.

My first run out with the R41 was an unbridled success; I seemed to get the angle perfectly first time out and had a smashing shave. I was close to placing an order there and then.

However, sense prevailed and I used it again the very next day. This was a different kettle of fish - something was different (perhaps simply the fact that I'd used it the day before) and I found the shave raw and uncomfortable. It definitely took a layer of skin off and needed a lot of moisturiser to take the burn off.

I decided to leave it a few days before trying again. Anyway, a couple of days ago I had had a terrible night's sleep (I blame this for my impaired judgement) and I tried to grab every last minute in bed. When I got up, I realised I needed a quick shave and decided to grab the R41 and go with a single pass shave.

Let me say for whomever comes next with this razor - don't shave half asleep with it until you are proficient with it.

I haven't cut myself with my EJ89, slim adjustable or super adjustable in the whole 10 months I've been using them. This has all changed... amazingly, I've managed to peel (rather than slice) my jaw - a nice strip of skin about 1.5 cm long by 2mm came right off, no effort at all.

I'm now a late entrant in the Movember brigade as I need to leave my chin alone until it seals up properly - at the moment it reopens with every shower.

I'm hoping to hold on to the R41 a little longer as the first shave was so good and I'd like to get back to that level - but I daren't touch it for a couple more days.

Anyway - I don't really think I need advice (I've read the other R41 threads with interest and I probably just need to make sure I'm awake and focussed next time I use it) but I thought I'd share my mishap with everyone!!

Wow it sounds like its got a taste for your blood! Becareful it doesn't scar, I certainly could not get on with it.

I enjoy shaving too much to make it into a chore an concentrating more than I like.

now you got me worried. I have a brand new beast sitting in the box which i was planning to use this w/e. I'm using the 2010 R41 at the moment and will stick with it until my technique improves considerably.

Hope you heal up with no visual scarring.

I'm pretty sure that my cock up isn't an ordinary occurrence - just be properly awake and in a good mood before starting (I have a feeling that being furious with my daughters who had singularly failed to shut up, as respectfully requested, for the previous two hours didn't do anything to help with a gentle touch and no pressing!)

Your whole tale has made me stop & think about the shaving process I use at the moment. While I'm lucky enough to have no children wandering around or disturbing my sleep I do find that I need to be alert for my shave otherwise the difference is noticeable, and this is with an EJ89 a 'mild' razor. So I think that if ever attempted to use the R 41 I would need to have the air ambulance on standby. For that reason I won't ever attempt it, but please don't stop the updates once your chin has healed!

Hope you heal quickly. You said you didn't need advice, so I won't offer any other than to try again. As you saw once, these can give fantastic shaves when it all comes together.

I have had nothing worse than a slight spotting under the chin when I got the angle wrong. I like them so much that my only only two razors in use at home are now the R41 and its sister, the R89 (with a Merkur travel razor in my travel wash bag and a couple of birth year razors I don't actually use). I've even used the proceeds from selling off my two HD Merkurs to buy a spare to keep in its box, just in case.

It does seem it suits some people better than others though, with very little middle ground.

I'm sorry to hear about your face :icon_eek: I have three kids, two boys and a girl, and like your kids they don't stop making a constant noise nether :mad: .

How ever, I have given up getting angry about the noise level when I shave,
The little :angel: are trying to annoy me deliberately, more so when I use a straight razor....the little :angel: so I have developed a mental block about it, the poor fools have given me extra skill's when shaving now :icon_evil:

I agree these are fantastic razors, the 2011 model which this one is certainly takes some taming, it's a lot more aggressive than the previous incarnation.

I don't use it when I am not awake, but I usually shave after a Shower so that's not a common occurrence.

Hope your chin heals well and you manage another good shave with it.

Back
Top Bottom