Finest 2 band knot by Golden Nib - with extra hair

Although this not a review for a brush per se I hope it will provide some insight into the calibre of the Finest knot provided by Golden Nib.

This brush has unintentionally turned into my go to brush and it is a good introduction to a denser style of badger brush that I think makes face lathering a real pleasure but without the hefty price tag . The knot epitomizes the term "soft and scrubby" and I have found it to be dense enough to be equally adept at lathering with soap's or creams and particularly good for using with super lather. You do need to use more product with such a knot but once your'e used to it I think it's worth it, it feels nice on the chops with no hint of prickle. The knot hair itself is course with fine tips and it doesn't feel as luxurious as the finer haired Simpsons Best or Super when dry but feels softer when wet.
The standard Finest Knot may behave differently to this knot with 20% extra hair but I can honestly say that the brush after some predicted early shedding has barely shown any bloom or shed a hair in many months of vigorous use. I do however allow these dense knots to dry out thoroughly between uses which can take more than 24 hrs but I think it prevents unnecessary shedding and damage to the knot and probably prolong the life of your'e brush.

The knot cost of around $25.00 delivered plus the handle off a Vulfix 404 mix ~ £8.00 means if you are handy and you could make something similar for about £25.00. Great value by anybody's standards or get Neo to make one for you. I set the knot loft at 50mm but I think in hindsight it could take a shorter loft for a stiffer outcome, my initial interest in this knot was because it was 2 band, it is nothing like Simpson's 2 band which has much firmer backbone and I'm glad of that, it is quite unique in it's feel and has turned out to be a surprisingly good all round brush, recommended.

gentleman that Tony is, i actually have had this brush in my very hand.

absolute luxury on the face, feels even softer when it's wet.
densely packed which gives it the right amount of backbone.

works equally well with all soaps but is particularly suited to face lathering.

after trying this i have 2 knots from Golden Knib winging there way across the Atlantic as we speak.

i went for a 22mm Silvertip with extra stuffing (the size down from Tony's) and a 24mm Finest in normal.
these will be going into a 404 handle like Tony did and a VS5.

i have yet to decide on loft lengths but was thinking of 50ish for the 22mm and 45-48 for
the 24

like getting a chubby on the cheap :lol:

It's my birthday soon, and I always buy myself lots of presents. This year is no exception. I ordered a 24mm size of this knot and it is presently being put into a Chubby style handle by our Neo. The knot is a beauty and I'm hoping to give the brush a run out on my big day. I am sure I will share Tony's enthusiasm for it.

Fido said:
I am sure I will share Tony's enthusiasm for it.

Don't I was drunk.

Only kidding. As we discussed a 24mm knot needs a larger hole (more than 24mm) for it to function properly as much as an extra 4mm and more if you are setting the loft short.

Its a bulb shaped knot and still looks like one. I wouldn't want it fan shaped TBH, I think it would be a bit too soft for my liking even if it was an extra stuffed knot.

It's a good value knot, my opinion hasn't changed from my original post even though I have a preference for a stiffer 2 band. I prefer the face feel of the Xtra knot even though it may take a little extra loading, good with either soaps or creams.

Back
Top Bottom