First Razor

Hi all,

Posted this in the welcome threads, so better post in the correct place.

About to buy first DE razor. Merkur 34C HD or BB Scimitar.

What do you guys think?

Cheers

I have not got experience of both, but I started with the 34C HD and it is a fine, well made razor which still gives brilliant shaves. It is a good balance of mild and aggressive. It gets my vote every time.

Good luck and have fun!

Started with a 34C, still have that 34C. I've owned quite a lot of others but it's been the one constant, that should give you some idea of what I think of it. It's just an all round good shaver, nice to hold, and pretty efficient, I still use one about 2 or 3 days a week. Finish could be better, see Merkur threads passim.

Hi, I'd recommend that you take up the kind offer above. I started DE shaving 6 months ago and ended up with a Merkur 34C HD and a EJ DE89. I like the Merkur but find the DE89 much easier to use and get a much better shave with it (my technique needs work!).

I'd put the money saved towards a decent badger brush. I tried a few cheaper options (Men U, Semogue 1305 and a Vulfix Grosvenor 404 mixed) but my badger made a massive difference.

Ian

Jagger 89l was my first razor (Scimitar is the same one). Well, what can I say - I got better shaves from a 100 year old great grand dad's open comb with half of the teeth crooked. Much better.

As previously stated - check Carl's offer (can't be that hard to google a good joke!) Although Helveticum obviously disagrees, I have had nothing but good shaves with my DE89 (actually, that's not true - but the bad shaves were down to me.)

I have the DE89 and the 34C - in addition to a NEW with BRW handle - and they are both good to shave with. If I had to choose between them now, I would take the 34C as it has a touch extra aggression but I learnt to DE shave with the DE89 and I felt that it hit the balance for that - effective enough while still being fairly mild. Given that, and it being cheaper too (though I don't know whether this is true for the BBR version?), I would say that the DE89 is the way to go. However, I think that either will likely be fine for you.

HTH,

_

I've got an 87 and I actually like it more now than I used to. They're more efficient than we sometimes give them credit for, but yes it's a pretty good all round razor and shouldn't cause you any significant problems. And as underscore says they're great value, you're basically getting a beautifully finished Muhle for less than £20.

Back
Top Bottom