Gaggia Classic - suppliers for all the mods

I have a Gaggia Classic. I think it's probably about 15 years old; I can't remember exactly when I bought it. It has a couple of faults at the moment; the group gasket has gone and the whole case leaks when I use the steam wand.

I thought about buying a new coffee machine, and was leaning towards the Rancilio Silvia. But it sounds like the benefit I would get over the Gaggia Classic is minimal, and considering the expense (and simplicity of the Gaggia), keeping the Gaggia going is a much better option.

So, firstly, I need a new group gasket (either 8.5mm or 9mm; I can't seem to find a consensus). Then I may need some parts to fix the leak; I'm hoping nothing's rusted through and it is either a loosened nut or a perished gasket/o-ring of some kind.

Assuming the leak is repairable, I'm thinking of going all out on the Gaggia and pimping it up:

I'm going to get the (old) Silvia steam wand replacement.

Although I tinkered with the OPV many years ago, I'm sure it isn't what it should be now. But rather than (or after) putting together a portafilter gauge, I'd like to mount one in (or on the outside of) the case itself. Is there any consensus on how the reading might differ when read between the pump and boiler and from the group head? What about differences between the static and dynamic pressures?

I'm also going to fit the PID upgrade. I'm not interested in trying to bodge a sensor to fit myself, so I'd rather go with a kit, or at least a custom-made sensor. Since I'm going for it, I think I'll probably splash out on the combined brew + steam setup, and potentially the mod that includes the brew timing too (with pre-infusion and the works).

Finally, since I'm planning on fitting an analogue pressure gauge, is it possible to fit an analogue temperature gauge too? I'm thinking not, since IIRC, the boiler is mounted on top of the group and there would be nowhere to put a temperature probe.

So... I think I know what I'm doing, but can anybody recommend suppliers of all (or indeed some) of these things in the UK (or Europe)? (Especially for the PID, which is likely to be expensive and attract the interest of our HMRC friends.)

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Well all your parts are going to have to come from different places really.

The PID your only option is Auber http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=232

Your group seal and wand you can get from http://www.espressoservices.co.uk/gaggia_parts_and_accessories.html

These are about the best prices out there for the parts, but do look yourself.
The difference between the static pressure and the dynamic pressure is really going to be about 1 bar so if you set you OPV to 10bar with a portafilter pressure gauge it should give you 9 bar when brewing.

the temperature Gauge I dont know why you would want as your PID will show the temperature Also dont know how putting a probe in your boiler would be good for it as is a sealed unit all the thermostats are into heatsinks rather than into the water itself.

But if you have more thinks than just a few seals to replace and are going to sink more money than just all these mods into it I would look at a little more money and getting a lot better machine.

On the topic of thermcouples all it is two pieces of wire welded together at the end, this joint creates a voltage that can be used to calculate temperture the other option a lot of people go for rather than to make one of there of there own is to just bolt one on to the boiler wall like some silvia machines.

dont forget to budget for tamper, filter Basket(depending on what your gaggia has or if you want a more consistent VST basket) cleaning brushes back flushing powder and all the other little things you never think about. then you also have the whole grind scenario as well, no point have a spot and machine and running badly ground coffee through it and still ending up with mud in a cup.

Thanks. I already have all the other things in place but just looking to pimp the machine. I'm not sure that I would get as good an end product buying a silvia than upgrading my classic. Do you think I would?

peg20 said:
Thanks. I already have all the other things in place but just looking to pimp the machine. I'm not sure that I would get as good an end product buying a silvia than upgrading my classic. Do you think I would?

No I dont think you would get as good a product by buying the silvia as upgrading your gaggia but who said to buy a silvia,

for the 500 quid region of a silvia you could also get something like this

Piccino_angle_with_filter_holder2.JPG

dual boiler and built in pressure gauge, dont know what the temperature stability will be like though deffo a big upgrade from a gaggia with the dual boiler so can steam and make espresso at the same time, you can tell I have been thinking of upgrading my gaggia.

http://www.myespresso.co.uk

Do some bits as do happy donkey.

Scott at happy D is useful to talk to too. Plus there is a gaggia section on
Coffee forums uk.
That fracino is awesome.
I'm not going there. Just yet!!!!
Tim

Thanks. Looking into it further, I think I will stick with the Gaggia for now. If I buy something else in the future it will be a full e61 group (something like an Izzo Alex Duetto for example).

Back
Top Bottom