Gaggia PID

well all my bits finally arrived on the china slow boat.
8a714e37.jpg

The only thing that I have ditheried about and i still am, is how to attach the k type temperture sensor, I have took the cover and thermostat out of my gaggia(just to look and see not fitting this proper till the weekend) I could not get a cheap thermocouple to fit the thread were the original gaggia thermostat goes, Now there is a couple of options here on what I can do, get a 4mm bolt cut the weld off the sensor and feed through 1mm hole on bolt, surface mount it or take out boiler and turn the 4mm threaded hole into a 6mm threaded hole.

Last one seems the best solution though could also leave me with a major problem if the sensor fails, Anyone else have any ideas. Or a link to a sensor with a 4mm threaded sheath.

Aggghhh what a PITA. I think I'd make the right sized bolt thermocouple and solder it, increasing the size of the aperture is the right enginrering solution but I wouldn't trust that Chinky part.

I assume it isn't possible to turn the bolt down a couple of sizes and cut a 4 mm thread.

You are probably right about not putting too much faith in the part, looks like it is going to be 1mm hole in 4mm bolt, the 6mm threaded part is just a sleeve so not enough material to turn it down to 4mm.(was my original thought till it arrived)

Garbe said:
antdad said:
Aggghhh what a PITA. I think I'd make the right sized bolt thermocouple and solder it, increasing the size of the aperture is the right enginrering solution but I wouldn't trust that Chinky part.

I assume it isn't possible to turn the bolt down a couple of sizes and cut a 4 mm thread.

I think the use of that reference will be offensive to some of our members.

Yeah, theres no way you can go round mentioning the "enginrering" word innit:D

P.S. another interesting Gaggia mod thread, thanks

Cant you take the boiler out, drill and tap a 6mm hole near the original and plug the original incase you want to go back to it or is the positioning of the sensor critical?

jaycey said:
Cant you take the boiler out, drill and tap a 6mm hole near the original and plug the original incase you want to go back to it or is the positioning of the sensor critical?

The boiler I don't believe to very thick , where the thermostat is has a circular raised section in the mold to take a bolt but it does not actually go into the water just into the Alu boiler wall to a depth, so drilling elsewhere would not work out. Looks like it's going to be a bolt with thermocouple pushed through. I have all the parts and some enclosure and such kicking about that will do fine as temp measure till I find a nice stainless one so I will fit it all tomorrow or Saturday time permitting. Will make sure to take a few pics of the internals for all too see.

Well my cheap
Censored-Censored-bad-words-cursed-smiley-emoticon-000988-large.gif
SSR does not operate on the lower end of its control voltage:mad: so back out it came and a new one is on order so the gaggia is back to normal untill the new one arrives

I'm sorry to hear this, I was thinking of getting a PID set from the same seller, for my Silvia, but I didn't buy since I'm going to try and up grade my machine. I hope it works out for you!

Well the PID is all now in AND working. The things on the web about it really do make it seem harder than it is in reality. The only hard thing is making the thermocouple. I went for the 4mm bolt with with what ended up closer too 2mm hole it as it does matter if you insulate the wire if you don't want to fill the screw with epoxy. I had to relent and read the PDF about the controller in the end when setting it up. It is now sitting flicking the heating element on for a fraction of a second every 3 seconds and seems to be keeping the temperature a nice constant 94. Pulled 3 shots of water at 60ml each so far and only 1 degree variance in the shots from each other. So I am a happy now all in need is a nice stainless steel box for it to replace the plastic I have it housed in just now

The PID was the same that always worked it was just the SSR relay that did not work. The cheap controller is looks to be actually quite I good I set the max temp and let the auto-tune do the rest and seems to be working fine. Though will be a couple of weeks before I will stand by that statement.

Back
Top Bottom