Gem Micromatic Open Comb

Used one of these tonight for the first time, yet another revelation.

Absolutely lovely close shave, really, really nice finish. What I don't understand is why the SE razors all do the job at least as well as my DE's but irritate my skin much less? The OC has given me BBS in 2 passes, no problem. But no irritation, which I get when I use my DEs that close? Plus i've only started SE shaving so I can still make my technique better?

I am a total SE shaving convert. I have a Feather Artist Club SS coming to go with my Dovo shavette and my cheapy shavette and i'm done, the DEs are gonna have to go I think.

I used the same razor for the first time on Friday!! I was pretty worried about pressure and angle but was excited to give it a go after hearing so many good things about SE razors!
I shed some blood but was really pleased with the outcome! My usual trouble areas on my neck were absolutely baby smooth after a 3 pass WTG shave without any touch up!! Until I brush up on angle/technique any XTG pass will be put on hold!! But overall I was pleasantly surprised and would not let the several weepers put me off! Since this shave I have expanded my SE collection!! Today I'll try my Ever Ready 1912!!

Yes, agreed, seriously how are not more people using these. Quite honestly they pee all over every DE razor i've ever used and i've used a LOT!

The OC was just brilliant, it felt aggressive but I was always in control and in no way scary and certainly not irritating my bad skin.

I am convinced that a thicker blade of the SE compared to the DE is at the root of this and I have absolutely no evidence for that whatsoever! If I had the money I would start manufacturing these now, surely the patent has well run out now!

Yes I agree, if you remove all the usual variables a principle difference between both methods is the nature of the blade. Whereas a DE blade needs to be contorted and clamped into stiffness because it is paper thin the much thicker SE blade will be far more resistant to micro-vibrations and flexing that occur at the blade's edge and that probably contributes to cutting efficiency and therefore irritation. If say both SE and DE blades last you approximately the same amount of time a SE blade is at least twice as resistant to wear because you are using the one edge twice as much, it's just a far superior blade in many ways.

Back
Top Bottom