Gillette Ball End restoration

I've just received a Ball End with a Blue blade ready loaded - so kind of thhe seller. The blade has rusted and stained the plating - just tiny patches left after a toothbrush scrub. I think the rust may have penetrated the plating along one edge of the cap and one place on the face of the head. Obviously, I don't want to attack the rust spots mechanically and risk damaging thinned plating.

The razor is in good condition apart from these tiny rust spots.

Is there a prescribed way of cleaning the spots, please? What is the metal beneath the plating? I'm assuming steel so a smear of oil would preserve the razor into the future.

Your suggestions and advice are most welcome!

when i have found rust, generally i soak overnight in water with Fairy Liquid, then with an ultrasonic and a toothbrush...voila it's gone, but it has always been very light rusting / staining....

i have had head caps with rust spots and no matter what the rust has eaten the plating and will just expose the brass underneath.....

Thanks for that ..... worked a treat!

Some plating has gone - micro-spots you can see under a glass. Touched them with an oily finger tip but I'll keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom