gold plate

just what is the safe way to clean gold plate on a razor? the fat tech.

And is using a spray can of automotive clear coat a good protectant?

Many of the ball techs I have come across where the gold is in reasonable condition actually had a laquer on them which over the years ends up a nasty orange colour. It's most noticeable in the indents at the end of handles under the ball and in the bottoms of the knurling. Some of the fat techs appear to have had a similar treatment which goes orange - although because of the design of the fat techs, it's usually long gone as most of the surfaces get an even wear which results in it being lost.

I totally agree with Carl though, gold is the most amazing metal in terms of never ever tarnishing - if it definitely is gold still and hasn't worn through, it shouldn't need much more than a gentle wash with something fairly simple like some dishwashing liquid and a soft toothbrush to remove soap scum from groves etc. The worst areas on the fat tech tend to be where the main handle has the top threaded section joined to it and the base plate where you tend to have lots of nooks and crannies for muck to lodge. Whatever you do don't use anything abrasive on it like Brasso or any similar products. The original plating thickness that Gillette used was INCREDIBLY thin and you will end up hitting the nickel below or at worst the base metal of brass.

Have you got a quick photo of the razor you're trying to clean ?

I've worked on replating lots of the fat techs and they are lovely razors and really well made. I actually restored a tech in gold today (Uncle Berties) and it has to be my favourite razor to work on.

Cheers,

Jay :)

Many of the ball techs I have come across where the gold is in reasonable condition actually had a laquer on them which over the years ends up a nasty orange colour. It's most noticeable in the indents at the end of handles under the ball and in the bottoms of the knurling. Some of the fat techs appear to have had a similar treatment which goes orange - although because of the design of the fat techs, it's usually long gone as most of the surfaces get an even wear which results in it being lost.

I totally agree with Carl though, gold is the most amazing metal in terms of never ever tarnishing - if it definitely is gold still and hasn't worn through, it shouldn't need much more than a gentle wash with something fairly simple like some dishwashing liquid and a soft toothbrush to remove soap scum from groves etc. The worst areas on the fat tech tend to be where the main handle has the top threaded section joined to it and the base plate where you tend to have lots of nooks and crannies for muck to lodge. Whatever you do don't use anything abrasive on it like Brasso or any similar products. The original plating thickness that Gillette used was INCREDIBLY thin and you will end up hitting the nickel below or at worst the base metal of brass.

Have you got a quick photo of the razor you're trying to clean ?

I've worked on replating lots of the fat techs and they are lovely razors and really well made. I actually restored a tech in gold today (Uncle Berties) and it has to be my favourite razor to work on.

Cheers,

Jay :)
e1eb2e054013e52d722fd3c692b1928e.jpg

i had an american aristocrat in gold that was covered in that awful thick orange goop. got most of it off with hot water soaks and nail polish remover on a cotton bud. not ideal but got enough shifted to make the razor presentable.

just what is the safe way to clean gold plate on a razor?

Hi there,

Far as I know there's not many options for spiffing up gold plating. Worst thing is various sorts of metal polish I know of....that usually takes the plate off like magic. As in fast.

One antique store owner told me to make a thick paste of water and baking soda and use a toothbrush to help clean things up. Also he suggested using that same paste and rubbing that around with my thumb for the razor's head. I have also used Scrubbing Bubbles with no bad reaction.

The orange stuff is clear lacquer that's turned color. Alcohol removes it, but along with the plating.

Tough getting gold plating to shine sometimes.....very delicate stuff.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom