Good backbone required

to get the best out of hard soaps?

I used to think this was the case. Its not, I can lather MWF & DR Harris, for example, with a Semogue 1305 as easily as I can with a NF 2band. My 1305 has become the floppiest brush I own, no less of a lather monster though.

It maybe floppy but it's also very course which assists with soap pick up, not unlike an old fashioned mop which I wouldn't want to use on my face either.

The 1305 I have (got it 2nd hand) has a very strong backbone and I only dare to use it with hard soaps, but I understand it is probably not fully broken-in yet. I assume the 1305 you have is, hence the comment on it having become very floppy.

Leaving that aside, I refrain from using floppy brushes with soaps. Denser and with stronger backbone brushes 'feel' more right to me, although of course in this there is no right or wrong usually....

It is possible to make great lather with many different types of brush including high lofted/floppies. It just seems to be a more satisfying experience to use brushes with a reasonable backbone on hard soaps. A large floppy can be used for for face lathering but it just feels better and more easy to control if you use a shorter lofted brush with a bit of backbone. But as with all things, our personal preferences vary.

I'll go along with exactly what Fido said.

As a matter of interest if you think you want to try a brush with more backbone, and you feel that your present brush may not have enough.... then simply grip the bottom of the knot immediately above the handle with two fingers and the thumb. It makes a big difference.

Rod

Neep said:
I'll go along with exactly what Fido said.

As a matter of interest if you think you want to try a brush with more backbone, and you feel that your present brush may not have enough.... then simply grip the bottom of the knot immediately above the handle with two fingers and the thumb. It makes a big difference.

Rod

Or use the old O-ring trick. Place an O-ring (or two) around the bristles at the base of the knot, to simulate a brush with a shorter loft and therefore more backbone.

N_Architect said:
The 1305 I have (got it 2nd hand) has a very strong backbone and I only dare to use it with hard soaps, but I understand it is probably not fully broken-in yet. I assume the 1305 you have is, hence the comment on it having become very floppy.

Leaving that aside, I refrain from using floppy brushes with soaps. Denser and with stronger backbone brushes 'feel' more right to me, although of course in this there is no right or wrong usually....

I have had it for over two years and it has had fairly regular use in that time. It is only "floppy" compared to the rest of the fleet which all have a loft less that 52mm.

That is not true, the 2009LE has a longer loft than 52mm

Fido said:
It is possible to make great lather with many different types of brush including high lofted/floppies. It just seems to be a more satisfying experience to use brushes with a reasonable backbone on hard soaps. A large floppy can be used for for face lathering but it just feels better and more easy to control if you use a shorter lofted brush with a bit of backbone. But as with all things, our personal preferences vary.

Agreed. I would not class the 1305 as large though.

Yellow Jim said:
Or use the old O-ring trick. Place an O-ring (or two) around the bristles at the base of the knot, to simulate a brush with a shorter loft and therefore more backbone.

antdad said:
or inject the base of the knot with thin cyanoacrilate.

And there I thought I was being pragmatic by holding the base of the knot with the tips of my fingers :huh:

antdad said:
It maybe floppy but it's also very course which assists with soap pick up, not unlike an old fashioned mop which I wouldn't want to use on my face either.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Not my experience of this, or any other Semogue boars. Soft tips and plenty of backbone, even a year later. The similar 830 borders on floppy, but it's set at a slightly wide angle in the knot.

I've stopped doing what the conventional wisdom on forums dictate - which is that boars need a lot of soaking before use. I find this does make them too soft and not very effective loading soaps, they do become moppy. I run mine under a tap till damp, and soap has no chance.

Those soft tips still make face lathering completely prickle free.

Back
Top Bottom