Goodfella from New Zealand

DSCF3450a.jpg

DSCF3452a.jpg

When I opened the package the first thing that struck me was its relatively small size compared with my current favourite an EJ Chatsworth.

It feels very solidly constructed and the matte black top appeals to me, particularly in contrast to the shiny stainless steel parts. The handle is shorter than I am used to but once you realise that the grooves at the top are where you put your forefinger and thumb, it is no problem. I understand from their very good communications that a longer handle is planned early in the New Year. Here is is on the right compared with a 38C, Fatboy and Chatsworth

DSCF3445a.jpg

I do not have a particularly strong beard so I don’t need anything aggressive – in this respect the Goodfella is very tame although to my Newbie eyes the open comb looked very threatening. My first couple of shaves, with a 7 o’clock yellow, were a bit rushed and I felt that the outcome should be better but I did notice that the shape of the head enabled me to do the tricky under nose bits with no problem. With my third shave I angled the handle out more from the vertical on the down strokes and that seemed to bring more of the blade into play and much more effectively. I later changed to a Derby (a pack of which came with it) and that for me is the winning combination.

Today I have had my sixth shave and I feel that I now have the correct technique for this razor and am getting good close shaves. It is not cheap at about £45 delivered from New Zealand but is very well constructed and definitely a looker. I should add that I received it only four days after ordering as it came by airmail. My one reservation is that I would prefer a longer handle.

antdad said:
Thanks Des, very interesting.

What is that a black chrome handle?

Do you have a link?

The handle is I believe stainless steel. Here is their site:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goodfella.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goodfella.com/</a><!-- m -->

Des,

try it with your Ej handle, the screw thread is the same and the handle width at that end is similar to the original handle allowing the blade to be held securely.

nivarna said:
Des,

try it with your Ej handle, the screw thread is the same and the handle width at that end is similar to the original handle allowing the blade to be held securely.

Great tip nirvana, I'll try that. How did you discover this?

Got both myself and like with other 3 piece razors I just try a bit of mix and match, if the original combo isn't feeling right I just fit it up with a handle
or a head from another razor. Some call this a Frankenrazor but it's all about what works best, well thats the way I look at it. In the end it's all about
the quality of the shave, be it mix and match with the razors, creating a super lather from your favourite soap and cream or even trying different blades.

henkverhaar said:
Looks nice, even though the head design is basically the Gillette old type head style. I'd be surprised if their shaving soap is any good though...

What? :shock: It comes in a nice box and contains lovely stuff like olive oil.

I noticed Shaving Shack are also selling the Goodfella.

antdad said:
henkverhaar said:
Looks nice, even though the head design is basically the Gillette old type head style. I'd be surprised if their shaving soap is any good though...

What? :shock: It comes in a nice box and contains lovely stuff like olive oil.

I noticed Shaving Shack are also selling the Goodfella.

EEP!

• ... at £60.00 (well, near as F!)!
        • That's gonna be so difficult to explain to SWMBA!![/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]
            • ... and would pretty much tap out most of next month's shaving-/fun-fund, too.
              • ... and the month's after that if I go for both models ...
                • *shakes fist at sky and shouts into the stormy winds of Life* curse you OCD!![/list:u]

Oh! Woe!![/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]
                  • That's gonna be so difficult to explain to SWMBA!![/list:u]

Back
Top Bottom