Greetings, from the South-East

Hello there.

This forum was recommended to me by someone one SRP. Had I realised there was a UK based forum, I'd have been here months ago!

Anyway, I'm James, and I'm 30 from Corringham in Essex. I a relative newbie to the old time shaving, but I love it. I've been making my way with a slim and a WS blade, but recently got a hand-me-down DOVO Favorit 10 from my great unlce who no-longer uses it.

After getting it honed for free by someone from Conticle.be (Highly recommended) I've had some successful shaves (following SRPs advice to start with an easy patch and keep doing that until you're confident before moving on, and finishing the rest with your current razor)

So, I've successfully shaved my right cheek three times without any problems. My lather is still a little inconsistent, but generally good. I've got some good prep going.

However...

My beloved DOVO is starting to loose it's edge. I've tried this 'Stropping' thing, but the only thing I'm confident about is that I'm doing it wrong. I've read loads on SRP and watched some videos, but what I really need (In my untrained and frustrated opinion) is a lesson from a real person, someone who's experienced at this (and patient) and can set me straight (parden the pun)
I know it's takes lots of practice, but I can't even get a handle on this. It might be good if they can hone too, in case I make a total hash of the blade and it needs re-edging.

So... Is there anyone out there that can help!? I don't mind hosting someone, or driving a bit. It's so frustrating, I love this blade, but if I can't keep it properly, then it's gonna have to be really pretty in it's box.

Thanks

James

Hello James and wecome to TSR. Have a look at this video, of a well known restorer and honer on the Straight razor place, he's a good bloke Glen AKA gssixguns, I dont live near you but if i did I would be only to pleased to show you, I use the same technique a method as Glen to set my bevel and hone my razors, here's a link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2E9sovmb0Y&list=FLJsRQydCmkBMN6C-evRgn7A&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Jamie

Hi James

I also can't help with your DOVO, as I only use DE's.

I am in Wickford though and have a reasonable selection of soaps etc.. should you feel the need to experiment with some different ones.

Welcome to the forum :)

Steve

Hi James and welcome to the forum. I'm close to you in Grays but unfortunately I only DE shave so can't help you.
Cheers,
Geoff

Welcome to TSR

Our Neil is a an Essex resident. Send him an email. If he cannot help personally he may point you in the right direction:

http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/article/about_us

Welcome to the board James. I have a Dovo in the cupboard I received as a present about 10 years ago - I've never been further than shaving my cheeks!! Scare the life out of me and a trembling hand doesn't work well with a straight razor.

Good luck fixing your stropping technique!

Back
Top Bottom