Greyhounds

Anyone have any experiance with greyhounds..getting a rescued one at weekend.Any advice welcome regards collars/leads/food etc many thanks Slash.

slash said:
Anyone have any experiance with greyhounds..getting a rescued one at weekend.Any advice welcome regards collars/leads/food etc many thanks Slash.

If it's coming from the Retired Greyhound Trust, they will supply everything you need to "get going", possibly including at least some food.

Food - the rehomer should discuss it all with you - they may even sell the food (at a hefty discount, with profits going back to the local RGT body). Mine does, but she's a legend in a 40 mile radius - everyone seems to know her :mrgreen:

Ours was nervous the first few day, had a couple of accidents in the house, but purely down to nerves.

Collars etc - if you get aftermarket collars (ie. not from the RGT) they need to be at least 2 inches wide.

Lead - not a retractable one - they go from 0-40mph in three strides... you can guess the effect if it gets to the end stop on a retractable lead.

If you want your greyhound to have the softest hair, a single normal size (not extra strong) capsule of codliver oil in the food makes an unbelievable difference. Too much and you need a squeegee to pick up the poo.

Oh - er - don't forget poobags - 1000 poo bags is cheaper than the on-the-spot fine.

Hello,

Good luck greyhounds make loverly pets, although I've not rehomed greyhounds I have Beagles (I also show and breed) but a few basics help.

The greyhound trust are very good and should give you all you need to know but when you get him/her just let them settle and don't have everyone round to see the new addition it could make her nervous.

I'd expect a few accidents because of nerves/marking territory or if it's an ex racer living in kennels it won't know how to live indoors.

I'd imagine a weeks supply of food which gives enough time to find a brand you can easily get or what suits them, all my dogs are fed dry, better for the teeth easier to store, but it's down to personal choice.

Someone who has a rehomed greyhound is your best resources the previous post shows or just ring the greyhound trust up they'll always help (it's better to sort a problem than have to rehome). Or send me a PM me and the missis have spent a lot of time on animal instant and behaviour with spaniels and beagles and I'd be happy to help if your having a particular problem. I've also done a lot on dog food, a couple of mine had issues with various foods, bad behaviour/hyper/bad bowels so if your having issues with diet I can help there.

:D Cheers guys have to have home visit on friday then saturday morning with a dog whisperer at the rehoming centre so should get lots of imput there..Already met toby our other dog(a dashhound cross terrier)..One extreme to the other.The new greyhound was found on a rubbish tip in greece and flown over to Doncaster robinhood airport along with 2 other dogs,he is 2yr old and has spent most of his life in the compound but seems really well behaved and hopefully the new fella will settle in quickly..

:D Well picked him up yesterday and seems to be settling in well,getting on with our other dog ok.Made the mistake of leaving a slice of meat feast pizza on the side so he had a little midnight snack..Never known a dog drink and piss as much but seems well trained as not one accident as yet..

hunnymonster said:
Lead - not a retractable one - they go from 0-40mph in three strides... you can guess the effect if it gets to the end stop on a retractable lead.
I once met a little old Lady with an equally little dog secured to a retractable lead waiting for an elevator - I was getting out and they were waiting to get in.
We exchanged places, and as the lift door began to close the dog jumped out and the lift began to descend.
Realising I had only seconds to act before the dog was decapitated by the unravelling lead now trapped in the descending lift I tugged furiously at the lead with one hand whilst freeing the dog from it's collar with the other.
Had the lead not been so long I may not have had those vital seconds to do this, and the building might now be haunted by the shade of "The Headless Dog" (Queue scary music)!

sunburyboy93 said:
antdad said:
Aren't Beagles expensive to keep? What with the price of fags nowadays.

.............cough.

:eek: :shock: you wicked f****r !!!! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't know what's worse the truth of the matter or what our American friends are going to take Fags as! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom