Hard water? Dodgy technique? Bad soap?

I'm starting to get hacked off with this (beautiful to look at) bowl of Trumpers Extract of Limes soap. For the life of me I can't get a decent, long lasting lather off it. Same water and brush brings up lovely lathers from soapalchemist's lovely stuff (Yushu, new recipe, truly delightful). And Trumpers rose cream. And Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet cream...

I soak the soap. Shake the brush dry (small Edwin Jagger best badger) and squeeze gently, pour off the stuff on top of the soap, swirl about with the brush for the best part of a minute and then try and work it up in a bowl.

But, no matter how long I work it, it doesn't seem to want to play. I'll get what looks like a very nice lather, put the bowl down to rewet my beard, then go back to the boil and the surface of the later has started looking... pitted as the small bubbles break down into larger ones and the foam starts to lose its structure. I've tried cutting down on the amount of water, I've tried increasing it, but I've yet to get something that'll stay on my face for the duration of a WTG pass (and it's not even a full pass at that 'cos I still have a beard).

For grins tonight, I whipped up a test lather from a bar of Pears soap (it was what's in the soap dish) and got what felt (in my hand at least) like a better structured and longer lasting lather than I managed from what's supposed to be dedicated shaving soap.

It's very frustrating, to be sure. But probably good for Nanny's :)

I've got Trumpers violets and have the same issue (West London water - moderately hard). The lather's always giving up the ghost before I've finished a pass. Other hard soaps - MWF, DR Harris - don't have the same issue so I put it down to the manufacturer rather than my technique. Shame, as I like the fragrance but I won't bother with their soaps in the future.

Further to this, it's definitely not me or my water, it's the soap. MWF comes up lovely.

I've contacted Trumpers but heard nothing back from them.

There was a thread not too long ago about the GFT Coconut soap that no-one could get a decent lather from. Whether that was just a bad batch or the recipe that was at fault - who knows. There are so many alternatives I just move on if I meet a problem product.

Back
Top Bottom