Hard water

Is my Merkur HD starting to suffer the ravages of the hard water that we have up here? It was brand new about 3 months ago but some of the shiny plate is turning grey. How can I restore it without further damaging? Thanks.

I doubt the plating is being damaged, unless your water is actually battery acid. It might be a thin film of scale - try letting it sit for about 5 minutes in a solution of 1 part white spirit vinegar:5 parts hot water, then rinse well in clean water.

chrisbell said:
I doubt the plating is being damaged, unless your water is actually battery acid. It might be a thin film of scale - try letting it sit for about 5 minutes in a solution of 1 part white spirit vinegar:5 parts hot water, then rinse well in clean water.

Thank you.

I use bathroom cleaner, the ones that are meant to clean soap scum. So far, no damage to any razors and always nice shiny razor at the end of it.

I'd check the New Razor Option! It may just be the excuse you need to buy the new one that you've been thinking about. Your Merkur might be just telling you it needs a rest and wants a new friend.:)-)

Johnus said:
I'd check the New Razor Option! It may just be the excuse you need to buy the new one that you've been thinking about. Your Merkur might be just telling you it needs a rest and wants a new friend.:)-)

I like this option.

Back
Top Bottom