Hello and a blade question

For years I used a Gillette Contour Plus with whatever Bodyshop cream I could obtain, applied with an old synthetic brush that I had inherited.
This combination served me well until the supermarket discontinued the contour plus refills.
Chancing upon a DE razor thread on another forum led me into the world of real shaving.
Not knowing where to start, I purchased a Feather Popular TTO, a variety of blades and some different soaps and creams to try out.
I've found the Feather Popular as easy to use as my old Contour Plus.
When travelling I use a Gillette 3 piece (unknown model) but I find it tricky to use due to its comparatively short handle compared to the Feather.
After reading various reviews, I bought a Muhle R89 which has proven a pleasure to handle.
I am still experimenting with blades. The Feather TTO came with Feather Hi Stainless blades and seems to work well with them even after six or seven shaves using the same blade.
Trig blades seem to shred my skin especially if used in the Gillette 3 piece.
A popular american website recommended Bic Crystal blades so I tried them.
The first shave with the Muhle/Bic combination seemed very good but when I tried to get a second shave out of the Bic blade nothing happened - no hair cutting noises and the stubble remained untouched.
Thinking that I must have been using poor technique whilst half asleep, I switched to the trusty Feather TTO with a Feather blade (about seven shaves old) - immediate resumption of service (hair cutting noises and stubble gone with one pass).
Next I'll have to try the Bic blade in the Feather TTO to make sure that it's an effect of the blade and not of the razor/technique that I'm experiencing.
My question is do Bic blades effectively only last for one shave?
Have I found a duff blade?
Is it just that my technique works with Feather blades but not with Bic?
Next on the list to try are some seemingly expensive Merkur blades......let's see how they perform.....

I would get a sample pack so you can figure out which blades work for you best..use each blade no more than 3 uses..unless you with to go more..but the tugging and pulling of the blade will tell you its time for a new one :mrgreen:

B

Seems like you're using one extreme blade compared to another. Grab a pack of Personna's from Tesco, Boots etc, they are a middle of the road sharp enough blade that should last you longer than a bic. If you like them you can buy cheaper online.

Dunno about the Bics, but I agree with Antdad that you're swinging from a well known very sharp blade to something far different.

Have a try of some Gillettes, maybe a yellow 7 o'clock (just about as sharp as a feather IMO). Or get hold of a sampler pack and try several over a good few shaves.

And welcome by the way!

Hello
Good evening
And welcome :D

I cant get above 2 shaves from the Bic myself, so I dont think its you.
]Blades are a personal choice and also vary between razor (depending on gap, blade angle, phase of the moon and so on).

I have now settled on three that I use before all others:
Gillette Bleue Extra
Gillette Yellow 7 O'clock
Gillette Super Thin

Oh and Wilkinson Sword Classic (if you can find them!)

Good morning and welcome to TSR :) .
Searching for the 'perfect' blade /razor combination can take a while but you'll get it,,,eventually.
Number of shaves does vary from blade to blade/skin but dont try to get too many shaves from a blade, 2-3 seems to be the norm for most.
7 o'clocks and personnas are good to try but as you know already there are so many brands available.
Check out the reviews section,you may get some ideas from there.
regards, beejay

Welcome to TSR! I have had no problem with Bic blades but if you do then no worries just try something else. You could always see if somebody wants to swap something for them if you have a few.

Back
Top Bottom