Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Lather in scuttle itself

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lather on soap in traditional shave mug

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
When I started this lark, I devoured Mantic59's YouTube videos and lathered in a cereal bowl.

A few months in, I discovered face lathering and did that for a few months.

I got a different brush and some new products (soaps, Moss Scuttle) recently and discovered my lather wasn't up to its usual standard, and decided to return to the bowl!

I've decided that depending on the product, the method used to lather will dramatically alter the lather's properties. Some products are very versatile and work just as well in a bowl as they do on the face. Others are very finicky. I find SCS soaps do much better in a bowl.

I don't use my Moss any more - I found the lather broke down between passes and it didn't keep it that warm for long. Maybe it's nicer in the winter months!

So... I was wondering how you guys lather. Please choose the method you mostly use on a day to day basis.

Let's hear it!

Normally I use a cereal bowl which I used to float in the sink to keep warm on the first pass,then I discovered that dripping water was ruining the lather so I moved it out.Tried face lathering a couple of time but tend to go with the bowl mostly.

I mostly use soaps and face lather. When I use creams I use a bowl floating in the basin to keep it warm. Dripping taps have been fixed.

Pete

I had to click other because I face and bowl lather both with heated scuttle and brush. Sometimes in a normal mug if in a real hurry but the brush has to be soaked and heated which is good for at least one or two passes if you are quick enough.

I face lather as found bowl lathering took longer and I can get a decent lather with both methods.

I don't really have a problem with the lather cooling down. Before each subsequent pass I just add a couple of drops of hot water from the tap to my brush. Kazam! Lovely hot lather again!!

-

PS Listening to the rather splendid Sweeney Todd soundtrack at the moment - let no man say I don't take this shaving lark seriously.

another face-latherer here

the brush does get pre-heated in a mug but i don't keep it warm between passes.

i do have a bowl from Ansgar (spell-check?) that is very well made and i will use again in the future but for now it's soap on brush or face and rub-a-dub-dub

face latherer with scuttle to keep the goodies warm. I like a really hot scuttle and brush, if I whipped up a lather in the scuttle the heat does somehting not very pleasent to the latehr. Tried cooling it of and just using a warm scuttle, better lather but not that hot lather feeling I was after.

I started with a cappuchino mug then bought a bowlymug thing from paul at Counnaught, use it all the time.
I agree with the comment of floating it in the sink and the lather being ruined, not so bothered by cold lather.
re washing up I just rinse out the bowl, the inside is clean as it gets rubbed by the brush every lather, the outside has a nice patina of white haze that I have decided not to remove for the moment, I'll see how it develops. I like the contrast.
Edit, the haze is months old and quite robust, it makes the outside surface very grippy even with soapy hands.

C

Whan I face lather I use the Dirty Bird Brush Scuttle, the conical nature of the insert in the scuttle keeps the maximum contact area of the heated pottery with the brush, the soap doesnt seem to dry out because the brush acts like a plug.

I have the lather bowl as well, but this part gets used all the time,

IMG_0435.jpg

This is the full set with the lather bowl and a SR3824

IMG_0430.jpg

Back
Top Bottom