How many shaves do you get per brush?

My step dad has used the same shaving brush since (at least) 1980.

It was a bit tatty then but isn't any worse now.

He's a 'painter' not a 'swirler'.

pugh-the-special-one said:
So in reallity if you own at least two or maybe three brushes and use them in rotation, you are basically set up for life.

Jamie

True, but that obviously isn't stopping me from buying new ones!:icon_cheesygrin:
Isn't it funny that when it comes to this "hobby" that all reason and logic fly out the window?

Here is some advice about shaving brushes from H Thater:

Depending on your care and usage of the brush, the tips of the knot will last between 5 and 10 years. Because badger hair is a natural product, the brush will inevitably lose a few hairs over time.

Wear will increase through either:

Lathering directly on the face.

Using mashing or pumping motions to create lather.

Using excessive pressure when applying lather to your face. Mashing the knot will never result in more lather.

Insufficient cleaning, as soap residue increases the hairs proneness to breaking.

Using water that is hotter than 40 degrees c/104F will make tips curl up.

Strong detergents, disinfectants or bleach.

Since a high proportion of todays enthusiasts prefer face lathering, perhaps brushes may not last as long as they have in the past?

My Father in Law has been using the same Kent brush since the 60's, it looks a bit threadbare but he still likes it. He's not fussy though, he shaves using Imperial Leather bath soap.
At 5 shaves a week for 50 years that's about 13000 shaves.

The brush makers just want us to buy more brushes! Its a conspiracy!

So, I take it no one's actually "killed" a brush yet and most of us haven't retired many/any brushes either?

The only one I've had die on me was a Shavemac whose knot broke in two. They replaced it for me. The only other one is a Semogue wood handled brush whose wood is dying. The knot is fine.

asharperrazor said:
The brush makers just want us to buy more brushes! Its a conspiracy!

So, I take it no one's actually "killed" a brush yet and most of us haven't retired many/any brushes either?

The only one I've had die on me was a Shavemac whose knot broke in two. They replaced it for me. The only other one is a Semogue wood handled brush whose wood is dying. The knot is fine.

ive killed a brush in 6months

it was a very cheap one.

the knot and handle was fine the only thing that happend to it was that the knot came out

it was more expensive to buy some glue for it than to replace it for a better brush

asharperrazor said:

I've thrashed a semogue 1305: The paintwork started to "bubble" and eventually the knot fell out, that took maybe a year and six months, but hey, 18 months of maybe 4 times a weeks use all for £20. That is value in my eyes.

The life of a brush is such that wearing it out is the least of your worries. I have one brush from the day I started DE shaving. An EJ Medium Best Badger, Used every day for two years it sheds like a dog now but I keep it for nostalgia.

The rest of the brushes I think will outlive me.

Back
Top Bottom